GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question leveling out rear of 2007 z71

hey all, Im looking to remove the rear blocks on my z71 to level out the rear of the truck..my question is what do I need to do so and what effect on hauling, braking, ect will this have...thanks in advance.

depending on how much threads are remaining on the stock u bolts, you may just have to remove the blocks and re use the stock u bolts, or if they arent then you can get new one's at most napa stores or equivalent. Shouldnt have much effect at all if any on hauling or braking.

I'm in a hurry which is why im doing such a quick write up but in an hour or so ill be able to offer more insight.

as long as the threads on the ubolts will work, you should be fine.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Legend

the reason the truck is low in the front may be from the strut springs are beat. these need replacing with over 40,ooomiles. some use various methods to increase the front end because of spring sag.

the OEM struts are weak so the springs get damaged. 2500 trucks have torsion bars no issue with those.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    the reason the truck is low in the front may be from the strut springs are beat. these need replacing with over 40,ooomiles. some use various methods to increase the front end because of spring sag.

the OEM struts are weak so the springs get damaged. 2500 trucks have torsion bars no issue with those.
    the struts need replaced at 40K miles?!? That seems quite a bit of low WOW.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barefoot greg View Post
    depending on how much threads are remaining on the stock u bolts, you may just have to remove the blocks and re use the stock u bolts, or if they arent then you can get new one's at most napa stores or equivalent. Shouldnt have much effect at all if any on hauling or braking.

I'm in a hurry which is why im doing such a quick write up but in an hour or so ill be able to offer more insight.

looking forward to the write up thanks

Legend

[QUOTE=ron8879;545041]the struts need replaced at 40K miles?!? That seems quite a bit of low WOW.....[quote]

that why I stay with the 2000 SILVERADO 1500 no coil springs , has torsion bars ! I agree 40,ooomi they start to fail/sag is too soon . GM looking for more work/cash. your idea is another way to do this leveling out, ignore the front sag,,,, drop rear .

Quote Originally Posted by ron8879 View Post
    the struts need replaced at 40K miles?!? That seems quite a bit of low WOW.....

- - - Updated - - -

looking forward to the write up thanks

lol sorry I've been crazy busy with work the last couple days.

Okay so Which route that you decide to go with to level your truck really depends on whether you want the new ride height to match the front by dropping the rear or to match the back by raising the front. Both are relatively simple mods that pretty much anybody could accomplish with just a couple hand tools.

To drop the rear like was already said simply remove the rear blocks and reusing your stock U-bolts will be the cheapest option as you'll have no more in cost that just your own labor. If the threads on the U-bolts dont continue far enough down the bolts they can be re cut with a Tap & Dye set. Then once you rebolt the axle in place the bolts will be sticking down under the axle about 2" which may or not bug you but they can be cut off with a reciprocating saw.(saw-zaw) If you dont do much off roading or prefer the looks of lowered trucks over lifted ones this may be the way you want to go.

But if lifted trucks are more your thing and you like the looks of a truck with a little bit of stance, without footing the cost of buying a full suspension lift, A front leveling kit is a relatively inexpensive accessory that can be easily installed in about 30 minutes to an hour. There are both ring shaped spacer plates that mount above the strut between it and the frame and C-shaped spacer blocks that mount below the strut between it and the lower control arm.

I dont have any experience with the ring shaped design but the C- block kit from RoughCountry was $64.95 at the time if i remember right. I installed it for a friend on his 08 silverado 1500 in about 25-30 minutes.
    The only hitch about going this route is that afterwards you should have an allignment done because this kit when installed caused the tires canter/castor to be slightly off but the allignment will correct this. It's not an immediate emergency although it should be done shortly after installing the leveling kit.

Hope this info was helpful,

-BFG-