GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yup. If I recall correctly it doesn't allow for custom tunes, though. That's relevant because a canned tune on a handheld tuner/programmer is broad enough to apply to many vehicles ...whereas a custom tune that's been tweaked by a human for your vehicle's specifics is exactly that ... tweaked for your vehicle's specifics.

While canned tunes do provide gains, you usually see larger gains with custom tunes. I personally recommend sinking a little more cash in for a tuner that supports custom tunes AND for a custom tune -- it's cash that will usually pay for itself just in the mpg improvement delta between a custom tune and a canned tune (and after it does, the added mpg gain from a custom tune help pay off your tuner investment that much faster -- in fuel you aren't buying).

What I am trying to look at is the tow rate increase on my truck. I would like to be able to pull around 11000 lbs. The last two trailers I had were more than I should have been pulling with the vehicle at the time. I don't want to get into that again. Travel trailers have been weighing around 8000 lbs dry ( no problem to tow ) the 5th wheels have been aroung 9500 lbs dry ( going to be a problem ).

Rated towing capacity has a lot more to do with the load rating of your tires, correct tire pressure for the load, appropriate rear axle, frame and suspension ... than it does with the programming of the vehicle computer. You may squeeze more torque and a few more ponies out of an engine with a tuner ... and you may improve mpg while you do it ... but it won't make an overloaded vehicle any safer or increase its rated towing capacity.

It's probably time to think about upsizing your tow vehicle if your loads have met (dry weight) or exceeded the rated capacity. Band-aids like overload springs or Roadmaster Active Suspension are just that (band-aids) if you're steadily at or exceeding your rating(s).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12