GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Default Hey GM Wake UP!!!!!!

Or will GM be LAST to market this???

Chrysler will offer diesel version of light-duty Ram pickup

By: Restyling News
    Monday, February 18, 2013

Chrysler Groupís Ram brand announced Feb. 14 that it will be first to offer a small-displacement diesel for its half-ton line of trucks.
    Featuring a new 3.0-liter EcoDiesel engine and an eight-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission, the automaker said the 2014 Ram 1500 will deliver best-in-class fuel efficiency and torque. If Chrysler delivers and the price is right, the diesel truck could propel pickup sales, which will stimulate demand for aftermarket accessories.
    The 3.0-liter, V-6 turbo-diesel from Italian engine maker VM Motori produces 60% less emissions than those produced by diesel powertrains 25 years ago, Ramís maker notes.
    The same eight-speed transmission and turbo-diesel engine that will power the 2014 half-ton pickup is identical to one offered in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee that achieves highway fuel economy above 30 mpg, as reported by Larry Vellequette of Automotive News.
    Although diesel engines are only available in half-ton pickup variants, they typically achieve higher fuel economy with better torque than gas-powered engines. The 2014 Ram 1500 will be Chryslerís first light-duty pickup offering since the early 1980s.
    Pricing has not yet been announced, but the diesel pickup is scheduled to enter production in July.

08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

GM has the engine and tranny ready. They just need to put it in the trucks. Look up the 4.5L Duramax. GM developed it from 09-10, but never put it in a truck because of raising diesel costs and worry it wouldn't catch on especially right after the bailout. It is said to have 310 hp and 520 ft lb of torque which helps it achieve up to 25% better mpg then a gas truck under light load and 75%-50% better mpg when towing or hauling compared to a gaser.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

A Chevy Cruz with a turbo diesel is being released later this year. Maybe if that does well, they'll put a small diesel in the Silverado.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Legend
    Blog Entries

I personally don't understand the fascination with diesel, I understand for a full size truck that gets worked hard. But for a daily driver it seems kind of silly, just the repair cost alone of a diesel make me steer clear.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I personally don't understand the fascination with diesel, I understand for a full size truck that gets worked hard. But for a daily driver it seems kind of silly, just the repair cost alone of a diesel make me steer clear.
    This is completely false. If you "pay" a repitable shop to replace injectors on a 5.3L gas vortec, they will charge you about $1500 for parts and labor. Glow plugs are cheap and hardly ever need replacing.

Your tires, frame, suspension are the same across all 1500's, unless you go with HD shocks (which shocks are easy to install) they are cheaper at the parts store.

The only thing (6.6L dmax) is that the 6.6L Dmax uses 12 quarts of oil per oil change. A 4.5L would take allot less oil than a 6.6L engine.

By the time you figure the 5.3L averages 15mpgs and the 4.5L Dmax gives you 24-30mpgs. you have more than made your money back (unless you are leasing the truck and you loose your shirt).

I keep my trucks on average 13 years and they are paid off within the first 48 months. To compare 13 years with a 5.3L gas to a 4.5L dmax, I am putting money in my pocket every year I own that dmax once it is paid off.

The diesel also run cooler meaning less heat damage where parts will need to be replaced in the engine more often on a 5.3L gas.

Also adding to what @nakranij said the 4.5l doesn't have a true intake and the injectors are externally mounted to make replacement easy. The turbo is mounted in the valley of the engine to help make the engine smaller but more powerful. This engine would likely out last the body it would be installed in. GM worked very hard on this engine but sadly did nothing with it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gm-has-changed-its-v-8-bellhousing-pattern.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	49627

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door