GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Help!!!!!!!!!!

Legend

you can do it that way what matters is the LOOP must be maintained. this is so output of the water pump goes back into the pump suction input. they have the connector to do this bypass by just removing the hoses at the heater core then using the fitting connect the 2 hoses together.

post back why its leaking corroded or cracked plastic

is it safe to do it that way?
    If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right.--Henry Ford

Yup perfeclly safe the way @j cat described it. This is how the heater works normally when the heat is set to max cold it just stops sending it to the heater core.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

i meant it i were to do it the way i described?

It will put stress on the water pump.

Legend
    Blog Entries

That is a great price on labor for that job, I know I wouldn't do it for that lol!! Too much that could be messed up under that dash, electrical and clips being broken and so on.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Koscoe View Post
    i meant it i were to do it the way i described?
    perhaps I did not understand you correctly. however when you do this bypass "the flow must not be stopped or restricted".

is that clear ? do not plug up any hoses or stop any flow out of / into the water pump.

most connect the two hoses together or put a hose on the water pump so it connects the two pump fittings together to allow the coolant flow.

I have replaced a heater core in a Grand Am and in a Volvo, but not in a full-sized truck/van. I will be replacing the squirrel cage fan in our 'burban as soon as the weather breaks.

If you have this done it is a good time to consider anything else in the dash that is annoying/needs fixing.

Any bulbs out? Crackling speakers? Rattling vents? Any hanging wires or poorly fit plastic components? Is your heater fan squealing or chirping?

You really don't want to disassemble the dash and have a second go at this, so you may as well fix whatever annoying things are under there all at once.

Having said that, most of what you will be taking apart or putting back together will be cosmetic or comfort stuff, so it isn't really all that complicated as long as you have a decent manual, and lay out the parts in such a way that you have no trouble finding what goes where when reassembly time comes.

I know you plan on hiring this job out, but it really isn't complicated. You do need to be a contortionist and to be patient and organized. Oh, and to have lazer vision to figure out wher the jeebus clips end up.
    1995 GMC K2500 Suburban aka "The Thunderbuggy" rolling along near Toronto Ontario.
    Sometimes with a sailboat behind, sometimes loaded with kids & dogs.
    Hail on CB ch. 19 if you pass through town.

i guess i mean to say loop from water pump to water pump bypassing the core with one hose. Are the hoses different sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Koscoe View Post
    The truck has dex in it now, but I always have the dex flushed and replaced by green.

If you are looking at the engine, the coolant line on the left going into the firewall can be disconnected and re-connected back into the block by disconnecting the line on the right from the block, correct?
    Why would you want normal green coolant, that stuff has to be changed every 30K miles or so. Dexcool can go up to 100K, but I've read that 75K miles is a good interval to change.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors