GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!!!!!!!!

Exclamation Help!!!!!!!!!!

Tonight my heater smells like antifreeze and now it blows out a white mist. The mist smells and leaves a film on the windows that will not come off easily. It will not defrost the window so now I can't see anything. This is unsafe to drive and our van is broken right now so it can not be driven. I need help please!!!!!!!!!!
    If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right.--Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Koscoe View Post
    Tonight my heater smells like antifreeze and now it blows out a white mist. The mist smells and leaves a film on the windows that will not come off easily. It will not defrost the window so now I can't see anything. This is unsafe to drive and our van is broken right now so it can not be driven. I need help please!!!!!!!!!!
    Sounds like you have a leaking heater core.

What year is your Silverado?

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

it's a 99. after Googling for hours last night and talking to a few people today, it does sound like the heater core crapped itself. Where is it located? Under the dash?

- - - Updated - - -

Is $350-$450 a good price on having the core changed out by my local machanic?
    If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right.--Henry Ford

it's a 99. after Googling for hours last night and talking to a few people today, it does sound like the heater core crapped itself. Where is it located? Under the dash?

- - - Updated - - -

Is $350-$450 a good price on having the core changed out by my local machanic?
    Yes.......the Heater Core is located under the dash, here's a Video, on removed the old Heater Core, and installing a New One,

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

I watched that already. I'm just going to have it done. Going to bypass the core so I can run the truck without it leaking.

I watched that already. I'm just going to have it done. Going to bypass the core so I can run the truck without it leaking.
    Sorry, you didn't mentioned that you had Viewed that Video.....

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

I ddin't watch it until this morning at work. It appears to labor intensive for me to attempt. I hate spending that kind of money on labor since the part is only $61. I would rather it be done right then me screw something up in the process.

Legend

with the dash to be removed to do this I would say 400.oo is a good price. bypass the heater core by connecting the 2 hoses together. they have fittings at the auto part stores for this.

what type coolant do you use ? dexcool gm approved or compatibles coolant ?

Sounds like you need to make friends with a good mechanic that always helps out on the price lol.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    with the dash to be removed to do this I would say 400.oo is a good price. bypass the heater core by connecting the 2 hoses together. they have fittings at the auto part stores for this.

what type coolant do you use ? dexcool gm approved or compatibles coolant ?
    The truck has dex in it now, but I always have the dex flushed and replaced by green.

If you are looking at the engine, the coolant line on the left going into the firewall can be disconnected and re-connected back into the block by disconnecting the line on the right from the block, correct?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast