GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default starting problem will not crank

ok so i have a 1996 gmc sonoma 4.3l v6 i bought let it sit for like 3 days and now it wont start all i hear is one click and thats it its not the batt, before then the truck use to start and run fine, what could be wrong? ima check tomorrow to see if it is seized but if not what could be the problem?

It may be the battery. I'm serious it may, have some one jump the truck.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

i know for a fact its not the battry why i know that because i put my brothers batt in there and didnt work and he put mine in his car and it worked so i know its not the battery.. but if by chance some one sees this before i attempt to turn the crank pully, the right pully is the one all the way on the bottom under the fan right?

btw where in ct r u? im in ct too by fairfield/bridgeport

Its is unlikely you will be able to turn the crank because of the resistance of the motor. You should take the starter off and have it tested at a parts store.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

really? ive read thats what you should do to tell if its seized, but any advice to making it easy to take that starter off?

- - - Updated - - -

ok so i was able to turn it and well it turned pretty easily... so what would be the next step? check the starter? if so what would be the easiest way to get it off?

Quote Originally Posted by 96sonoma View Post
    really? ive read thats what you should do to tell if its seized, but any advice to making it easy to take that starter off?

- - - Updated - - -

ok so i was able to turn it and well it turned pretty easily... so what would be the next step? check the starter? if so what would be the easiest way to get it off?
    I'm in Milford. The starter is supper easy on these trucks usually. Get under the truck on the pass side by the transmission bell housing. Then locate the starter. Looks like the one bellow or similar. Remove the two bolts then guide it down and remove the bolts that hold the two wire to the starter. should take half an hour. Bring it to your local Autozone and they will test if for free.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-07_17-38-51_713.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	49662

Legend
    Blog Entries

If its a 2wd it is super easy, if its 4wd it won't just fall out. The front crossmember blocks this. I replaced a starter on a 4wd, where the front crossmember was frozen in place. We ground a small piece out of it, to let the starter fall right out.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

that is the bigist starter ive ever seen but i was thinking the thing on top of that was the actual starter.. i know where the starter is and looked like a bitch to get out but it 2wd.. im just happy the engine wasnt seized, but instead of taking it out to have it tested couldnt i just try to jump the starter solinaid with a scewdriver or would that be pointless to attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by 96sonoma View Post
    that is the bigist starter ive ever seen but i was thinking the thing on top of that was the actual starter.. i know where the starter is and looked like a bitch to get out but it 2wd.. im just happy the engine wasnt seized, but instead of taking it out to have it tested couldnt i just try to jump the starter solinaid with a scewdriver or would that be pointless to attempt?
    It is possible to do that, but I wouldn't recommend it because your dealing with around 500-700 amps of power, it only takes about 100mA to kill you so.... Testing the starter will give you a definitive answer if it is the problem. You also should check to see if the cable to the starter is corroded. Also remember this is a very computer dependent truck and engine; I'm not sure what that electrical surge would do to other components.

Also question when you turn the key does it click or just not do squat.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw of course my starter is big, it has to start my V8 on the coldest of days. The one in that pic is the factory one from my truck and it still starts her up every day no matter the temp. This is of course very rare because starters go through hell between being over reved when starting, cranking up multiple unlubricated cylinders and with between 600-1000 amps of electricity hitting that motor for only a few brief seconds. It really takes its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    It is possible to do that, but I wouldn't recommend it because your dealing with around 500-700 amps of power, it only takes about 100mA to kill you so.... Testing the starter will give you a definitive answer if it is the problem. You also should check to see if the cable to the starter is corroded. Also remember this is a very computer dependent truck and engine; I'm not sure what that electrical surge would do to other components.

Also question when you turn the key does it click or just not do squat.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw of course my starter is big, it has to start my V8 on the coldest of days. The one in that pic is the factory one from my truck and it still starts her up every day no matter the temp. This is of course very rare because starters go through hell between being over reved when starting, cranking up multiple unlubricated cylinders and with between 600-1000 amps of electricity hitting that motor for only a few brief seconds. It really takes its toll.
    well when i press the button all i hear is one click... and yes you press a button to start it and theres wires every where, so i really dont want to get into searching for loose wires and stuff, but when i go to start it its just one click that sound like it comming from the starter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast