GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Well most of the time that means the starter is dead... or the solenoid on the starter is.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

and hitting the starter would that fix it or does that only fix it if the starter is compleatly silient?

That I don't know. And I think it depends on the design of the starter. I say take it off tomorrow or saterday bring it to autozone test it and go from there if it passes then its gonna get complicated trying to find an issue. Btw starters die with almost no warning; my girlfriend's starter went out in the fall after she had driven the car multiple times that day. I though it was a dead batt because it had happened before but it wouldn't make a sound.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

i know siliance useally means dead started my old car use to stop starting never got a new starter just hit it with a hammer everytime it stopped working

It can't hurt at this point right? If it works then yay if not back to same convo.

yea but when i crawled under there it looked like a pain to take out and work around but maybe on jack stands it would look easier.. but stupid question.. i havnt started it for like 3 days before i found this issue.. would it be possible that for some reason the cold as something to do with it?.. im sorry i just dont know much about starters pretty much everything else im good on.

Unless the battery, which you tested, doesn't have enough CCA, but you don't hear clicking. Personally I've never had a problem starting my truck after its sat. It sat from the 7th to the 11th of this month during the storm and started right up. But in saying that I have a 800CCA battery and my starter is very reliable. Jack stands will definitely help you out.

yea so all i hear is just one click... but i have tire ramps witch i was gunna use the otherday but we couldnt push the truck onto them.. so a jack and jack stands it is, its just 2 bolts and it comes right down right?

Pretty much. Then remove the nuts holding the cables to the solenoid. Should be easy.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Did you check the starter relay?? Your air conditioning relay, and starter are the same. Swap them and see what happens, it could just be a bad relay.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast