GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

just give the starter a whack with a hammer. there is a coil inside it that usually gets a short in it. Giving it a whack or two usually fixes it. But if it happens again, you know what to do.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

can you help me by telling me where the relays are? i cant fine nothing under the hood?.... and ive tried hitting the starter then crawling out and tryna start it and didnt work.. but i guess ill try that again.. but knowing where the relays are would help thanks for the info

Sr. Engineer

If you can positivly determine the clicking you hear is coming from the starter then you can be sure it is not your wiring to it. Double check the positive connections from battery to starter and if they are in good shape then your starter is at fault. Oh, and as Conlan pointed out, there is alot of current available on those wires so be careful and disconnect the negative terminal before you do so. Loud, large and bright sparks await the missplaced tool if you don't!
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Quote Originally Posted by dpeter View Post
    If you can positivly determine the clicking you hear is coming from the starter then you can be sure it is not your wiring to it. Double check the positive connections from battery to starter and if they are in good shape then your starter is at fault. Oh, and as Conlan pointed out, there is alot of current available on those wires so be careful and disconnect the negative terminal before you do so. Loud, large and bright sparks await the missplaced tool if you don't!
    yes im sure that the one click that i hear is from the starter because while i was under it it my brother pushed the button while i was under there and it is the starter, but i maybe be wrong but wouldnt hearing that click mean that the starter is getting power?

Yup but it might not be getting enough power. Try out our fixes and see how it work.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

yea hitting the starter does nothing?.. just curious about where the relay is? and im bout to take the tire off to look a the connections because i cant from under the car, and looking from the bottom.. theres a like a small hole not sure if that should be there?

- - - Updated - - -

i only see see one wire clearly and that the wire thats in the middle of the too big "bolts?" on the soloniod

How big is it? Can you take a pic. The relay is in the under hood fuse box.

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    How big is it? Can you take a pic. The relay is in the under hood fuse box.
    i cant find a fuse box under the hood, and the hole its a small one and yea ill take pics tomorrow.. but i did what you said i shouldnt do but im still alive and jumped the starter but all that happend was clicks nothing so will that mean that the starter is deff bad and i need a new one? and the starter is the problem?

Yah starter is likely dead.

ok so to remove the starte i undeo the two blots that i can see from laying under the car? then guide it threw and undo the bolts thats on the soliniod

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast