GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: HID retrofit

Default HID retrofit

I heard of doing this through a buddy of mine and I would like to get it done to my truck. My question is, is their a single xenon projector out there rather then a Bi-xenon projector, because it seems like a bit of a waste if I already have a set of highbeams and do not need the high and low beam from my HIDS. Second what is the risk?

1999 Chevrolet Silverado LS 5.3L

Those are questions best left to a company the specializes in retrofits.

I dont get the question, are you saying what is the point of having hi and lows both hid?
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Do you want a single bulb to do Both? A new housing?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

What I want to do is use the projector HID as my low beam, but most companies only make Bi-xenon projector housing. Meaning that the light can be used as both a high beam and a low beam setting, by using a shield to cover some of the light. That's the source of my problem, because I figure I have high beams already due to Chevy's design of using separate bulbs for the high and low beam, so if I could find a single xenon projector, logically it would probably be cheaper, but I can also use a Bi-xenon which will still work but it cost more.

- - - Updated - - -

no I understand the point as to why use HIDS for high and low beam. What I am saying is I want to use my low beam and put a projector in the housing to concentrate the light. Getting a High Beam HID seems like a bit of a waste, mainly because the projected HID should supplement the high beam if not supersede it, for safe road driving, where as the high beam is used if drivers piss me off.

1999 Chevrolet Silverado LS 5.3L