GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Question : What grade of bolts to hold tow hooks onto frame ?

I'm installing a RPO addition to my 1990 1500 Silverado and the hooks go through the frame and into two 1/2 " steel threaded blocks. But I don't know how strong they need to be. Grade 5 or 8 ? Thank you !

I would go with 8. The last thing you want to happen is have a bolt failure will using the hook.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Yep Grade 8 or a 12.9 metric.

Heres a pretty good page I use for fastener info. It has info on threads, tapping, sizing, and general fastner rules/info. http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/

Wow 1/2 inch seems a little small considering the application. But i guess you would want them to fail before anything else.

Legend

a grade 8 bolt is good for 20,ooolbs with a 13 thread. threading into a plate ? what is the plate/block grade and material ?

using grade 8 bolt/nut would be best torque to 80 ft LBS... 20,ooo lbs would be a straight pull clamp rating. shear rating would be much lower.

I went to Home depot and there's no standard grade of bolts that fit the screw block that LMC truck supplied. So I went Pep boys as they carry automotive fasteners, and I got 7/16-14 bolts but they seem a little loose, So I'm not sure i got the right bolts, do you think it's metric fastener ?

Legend

the 7/16 bolts should not be correct . a 7/16 -14 will thread loose into a 1/2-13 thread. could be it is metric if the 1/2 -13 does not thread. did you try a 1/2 -20 thread ? the 20 thread would be a better thread for this app.

with the plate in hand you should be able to find the proper hardware. homedepot is not the place to go to find quality hardware. see if a hardware store in your area has a full selection of fasteners.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JTward1 View Post
    I went to Home depot and there's no standard grade of bolts that fit the screw block that LMC truck supplied. So I went Pep boys as they carry automotive fasteners, and I got 7/16-14 bolts but they seem a little loose, So I'm not sure i got the right bolts, do you think it's metric fastener ?
    I would purchase the correct bolts from LMC truck . that is the safe way to handle this.

Yeah, I did that. I don't have any good fastener nuts& bolts shops anywhere near me.
    Last edited by JTward1; 02-24-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Legend

use a torque wrench to secure bolts. if you use too much torque then the load you have to handle will be reduced .

if the bolts you get have no torque value look up what grade bolt they gave , and see what the low end torque should be used to secure them. you do not want to stretch the bolts to the max , when securing.

When I installed my snowplow mounts I used grade 8 and a tourque wrench for everything, including replacing the tow hook bolts. I was able to purchase the, from tractor supply. Hopefully you have one nearby.
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast