GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Pinch welds getting dented at tire shops...anyone had this? '87 s15 jimmy 4x4

Hey all:
    I have had the pinch welds (bottom of rocker panels below doors/body) damaged THREE TIMES over the years, last time just last month, by two different tire/service shops, but have never actually seen how it's being damaged. My pics show the damage that's happening, and where.
    One shop told me it happens when they lift the vehicle up by the pinch welds. Anyone experienced this? It's especially nice when the shop lies to your face and claims they didn't damage it, bla bla bla.

By the way, this has never happened when I take the truck in to the dealer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6c908bd6c6724d369e8b1ddaa1430dd3.jpg   626a50346199417786c661950af8f7ad.jpg  

If their lift has the adaptors on the ends of the lift arms the adaptors stick up just far enough to hit the pinch welds, on some lifts the adaptors can be removed when not needed, they sit down in a hole and just lift out, but many shops leave them in place since they normally dont pose a problem. They can also spread the lift arms a little wider to make the adaptors clear the pinch welds.

Why are they lifting it on the pinch weld and not the frame rails? That is a rookie mistake. when I working in the garage all trucks were lifted by the frame not pinch welds. You only use pinch welds on unibody vehicles where a frame is not available.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

first off those shops should not be lifting your jimmy by the pinch welds it should be lifted on the frame like a normal pickup truck/SUV. but it is very common to see vehicles with crunched up pinch welds (i see it all the time when i go to lift cars at work). cars get lifted by the pinch welds not trucks.