GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Well that would make sense that it's a goodhood, I reread your post and it makes sense about the cracking. Mine is cracking around the corners of the scoop, not to mention the large amount of water that stays in the hood at all times. When I open the hood, water just pours out of the drain holes underneath. Poor design but I love it, since then I have also put the Volant power scoop on it as well. Got it for $20 at Summit Racing in the scratch and dent thing.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Cool beans.. When I got mine It was painted up at Valanca up in the Bronx. Lou there is the same guy who built 3 trucks for the Goodhood ad's and he even sad the Cervini hood was better built..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBN 2 067.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	49718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBN 2 068.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	49719 Here's some more pics of my old trucks Goodmark Steel hood (Also painted up at Valanca's and here is Lou's Down in Daytona for SBN'sClick image for larger version. 

Name:	SBN 2 072 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	49721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBN 2 071 (Custom).jpg 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	49722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBN 2 070.jpg 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	49723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBN 2 052.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	49724
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I have an RKS cowl induction hood on mine... I've noticed some improvement when up to speed (above 40)especially when towing my camper... just seems to have more power. Of course this is only my observation and not dyno proven. ))
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

The butt-dyno isn't terribly accurate... and is prone to observer error.

What one really needs is the cold air intake... in combination with the ram air hood. The colder the air the more power you can build.

Quote Originally Posted by TimTom64b View Post
    What one really needs is the cold air intake... in combination with the ram air hood. The colder the air the more power you can build.
    How do you figure? A CAI is ideally drawing in air from OUTSIDE the engine compartment. (Even the OEM airbox draws through the fender and not the engine compartment.) So an unducted ram air hood would cool the engine compartment, some, but should have no impact on the air temp of what a CAI draws in.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    How do you figure? A CAI is ideally drawing in air from OUTSIDE the engine compartment. (Even the OEM airbox draws through the fender and not the engine compartment.) So an unducted ram air hood would cool the engine compartment, some, but should have no impact on the air temp of what a CAI draws in.
    My RKS ram air hood dumps directly into the top of my air box... way better then just cold air from whatever enters via the fender.

Quote Originally Posted by TimTom64b View Post
    My RKS ram air hood dumps directly into the top of my air box... way better then just cold air from whatever enters via the fender.
    Is the airbox sealed against it or open to the rest of the (hot) engine compartment?

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Is the airbox sealed against it or open to the rest of the (hot) engine compartment?

Mine right now has about 1/2" gap between the air box and hood ram air opening. My plans are to install a seal around it... just haven't gotten to it yet. Planning on installing a seal similar to what is used where the firewall and hood meet. Even with the 1/2" gap the amount of cold air coming in would easily displace the hot air coming from under the hood.

You may be flowing 300% more air to the intake, but your engine, if it is basically stock, is not using it. The stock induction on our silverado's delivers more air than the stock engine can use, even at WOT. The stock filter element flows something like 1700CFM, while the 5.3 engine uses a max of around 750 CFM, if I recall correctly.

As for "cold" air, the only significant diff will be when you are sitting at idle for a period of time and the air under the engine is somewhat stable (stagnant), i.e., not moving. At low speeds there is some movement of air through the compartment. At higher speeds, such as on a freeway, your under-hood air temp may be 10 degrees or so warmer than the outside air. Many tuners can be set to measure air temp at the intake. If you have one, try that out and see for yourself. There is just no significant benefit from a CAI on a NBS or NNBS Silverado, both of which have a shielded intake system. This is coming from a guy who used to swear that there were a few extra ponies under the hood after adding the CAI.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12