GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Opinions of Jeep Wranglers

Hey guys I drive a silverado but my dad might take it and i would get a manual jeep wrangler. Does anyone have any opinions on the mechanics of the wranglers....
    2007 Chevy
    Reg cab
    2wd
    4.3 v6
    32'' bfgoodrich all terrains

If they don't sing, they don't sling.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Consumer reports Puts them as Worse then Avg in reliabity..... Sorry
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

What model?
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

it would be used probably around 2000 to 2007 or 8.

I have a couple friends that have them and they havent ever had any problems. One is newer like an 07 or so and the other one is a little older maybe late 90's or early 2000's. They seem to run pretty good and have surprised me with what they can do. I actually kind of want one!

I don't care for Wranglers largely because they are very basic feeling when it comes to transportation. i.e. Noisy, rattling, etc. Sure they are functional ... but the word 'refined' never comes to mind, for me, when thinking of a Wrangler. (Yes, trucks CAN be refined. SLT/LTZ's are cozy!)

I like them, but I'd personally only go for a 2011+. The new ones can be done up nicely in terms of features (power windows, leather, navigations, etc. to get all of the convenience things) but the 2011+ saw a big improvement in terms of the engines. The ones before had mediocre power and poor fuel economy for the size/weight of the vehicles. The new ones are more reliable, more powerful and get better fuel economy. From my previous research, I seem to recall people getting 15-16mpg on the high side. My Avalanche is a lot heavier than a wrangler, and has a 5.3l V8 instead of the old 4.0l V6 in the jeeps and can get 15-16mpg no problem with a fairly heavy foot. For me, the 4.0 V6 isn't an impressive engine and I don't think I'd own a vehicle with one.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

i test drove one because i loved them but they are laggy as hell and have no power. there terrible on fuel and my old boss drove one and sold it because he had to put brakes on it every 3 months. they were ac delco brakes so they werent the cheap stuff.
    99 chevy 1500 silverado 4.8 vortec True 2.5' dual exhaust with 3' Silver vein tips and vx muffler, 2005 tail light swap, mb tko 16" matte black rims Upcoming mods:HID headlights, 2" leveling kit

We own a 93 YJ Wrangler thats been with us since it was new, we replaced the 4cyl/5spd with a 4.3/700R4 at 135k, the original engine couldnt propel the vehicle fast enough to get out of it's own way, but I never cared since it was my wifes 2nd car and she normally only drove it in nice weather with the top and doors off.
    We had a 2009 JK but sold it because we never drove it and when we made the decision to get rid of one of the Jeeps my wife admitted she was attached to her 93.
    The 09 had the 4cyl with a 5spd manual, it wasnt a bad truck, ran decent, definately could outrun the 93 before the engine swap, it was ok but like was pointed out it is a utilitarian vehicle.
    The A/C works ok but can easily be overcome due to the soft top, heater is the same way, performance and fuel mileage arent the best due to the non-existant aerodynamics, and road noise is a big factor, a loud aftermarket stereo is a must if you like listening to music even with the top up, although the newer tops do keep out more of the road noise.

But if your looking for a vehicle to fix up and add parts to you wont find one more popular than a Jeep Wrangler, there's more aftermarket parts available for Jeep JK's than any other vehicle, and out of the box with no mods they're one of the best off-road vehicles around.
    We enjoyed ours, never had any real issues with it, since we had the 94 we knew the quirks Jeeps have so things like the minimally functioning HVC werent a surprise to us.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    But if your looking for a vehicle to fix up and add parts to you wont find one more popular than a Jeep Wrangler, there's more aftermarket parts available for Jeep JK's than any other vehicle, and out of the box with no mods they're one of the best off-road vehicles around.
    This is true, and I think off-road-worthiness is key to the Wrangler's DNA. However, it's also key to an ATV's DNA ... and those are smaller, cheaper, more fuel efficient, and likely even better off road. However, they're not exactly street-worthy. Then again, in my book, a Wrangler barely is -- but that's because I like creature comforts in road vehicles ... and Wranglers just don't have many of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by