GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Engine swap

Default Engine swap

We have a 84 square body chevy wanting to pull existg. 98 vortec 350 out and drop 06 4.8 vortec injected in. We have a nice donor truck complete which is running and has 58000 miles, tranny, wiring, package. We are just wanting to get away from old carb, stink, adjusting, etc. And new update clean look, and hopefully better mileage. Any advice out there on some of the issues of this swap??

Welcome!

Good luck with the swap. I'm no engine guy...

Good luck with your swap, take lots of pictures and notes before you yank the engine and electronics out of the 06.
    Since your body is older your gonna have to fabricate a lot of stuff and wiring is gonna be a pain. I dont believe you'll be able to use much from the existing engine package thats already in there.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    good luck with your swap, take lots of pictures and notes before you yank the engine and electronics out of the 06.
    Since your body is older your gonna have to fabricate a lot of stuff and wiring is gonna be a pain. I dont believe you'll be able to use much from the existing engine package thats already in there.
    yes, we plan to. I have been doing a lot of looking. Biggest thing to us right now is mating back to existg. Dash, instruments, a/c controls, etc. To new wiring / computer out of the 06. Also, looks like some modificaton with the tranny bracket and exhaust headers?? Not sure. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I would just sell the truck and find a good used one with the motor and MPG's that you want. Maybe you can find some one who wants your truck with the bigger more powerful motor and wants to swap...This will save you a Ton of work and what can be headache's...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend
    Blog Entries

First off I have done an LS swap, so I will give you my honest opinion on your situation. Your putting in a smaller engine, to push a much heavier truck than what it is coming out of. Gas mileage won't be that great, not to justify the cost of the swap.

I did all of the wiring myself, many people opt for a custom made harness which is okay if you have $1000+ laying around which I didn't have. You can wire an LS swap into anything following these 3 simple steps.

all the pink wires from the fuse box connector go to 12v ignition source (your new fuse box)
    all the black wires from fuse box connector go to grounding source.
    all the orange wires from the fuse box connectors go to 12 CONSTANT in the new fuse box

The LS engines are basically self contained electronically, now as far as your interior stuff your going to have a hell of a mess. LS engines use serial data for the gauge cluster, digital not mechanical. Dakota Digital does make retro-fit applications but they are wicked expensive.

Air conditioning can be done several different ways, Vintage Air sells a Gen 5 system for LS swaps, that comes with the controller for in the dash along with the lines and everything. This is what I'm getting for mine, once I save up about $2,000.

The transmission mount and headers are the LEAST of your worries, is the motor drive by wire or drive by cable??
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you here. I agree with Enkei above unless you are just wanting a long and complicated project. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Thanks for comments and it doesn't sound good. The thought on the milder and smaller motor is strictly wanting a normal street driver, injected, quiet, to pass on to a young driver later.
    Don't know if you saw, but we have entire donor truck complete and running sweet and all the "stuff"?? Still a pretty big undertaking ???

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yes i saw that you have the whole donor vehicle, but you are still going to have one hell of a headache. Getting the power train set up is really nothing, your interior is where your going to go crazy. I have seen where guys will do a FULL interior swap from a newer silverado into an older square body silverado. It is possible, that is where I personally would draw the line lol!!! It all depends on how much money you want to put into it, time and labor are free. We are still working on our swap and its going on 18 months and $15,000 later lol!!! It's all the little things that add up.

Welcome to the G M T C ! Sounds like your already getting some great information, good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas