GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Cleaning the engine bay (with photos)

who doesnt like a nice clean engine bay?

My engine bay is dirty as hell, are there any tips or things to avoid when cleaning the engine bay on a 04 silverado or maybe all around? I think this will actually be my first engine bay clean attempt. i may not go "all out"

I plan on being careful not to get it on the engine per se' but the fluid holders plastic covers and similar like places are all grimey and need a deep cleaning.

Could one lightly spray with a power washer from a car wash to mist the engine? or should i just go at select parts with rags and a bucket of water? wondering how one can get it "clean" without getting it "show-room worthy" thats not necessary.

thx,

I use a spray bottle and spray Simple Green on it. Let it sit for a few minutes and spray it down with a water hose. I do this about every other time I wash my truck. All this on a cool engine!!

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

I've used GUNKS it works well. Just make sure the engine is cold because it is flammable also cover the alt and exposed electronics that you thing will get damaged. Then spray the bay with the GUNKS thoroughly you may need a few cans. Wait a few mins then hose down the bay.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I use Simple Green, as well -- just as Alox does.

This is the best that I have found to clean any and all grease: http://www.swishclean.com/product.ht...&Source=Search
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Hmmm...I stick got mud falling out of the bay from last year... perhaps it's time to clean it out as well.
    94 Chevrolet K1500 4x4. 5.7L 350, 5-speed (AKA Betty) Or Rust Bucket...depends on if I'm mad at her.

I like GUNK as well, but it can hurt plastics if you let it sit too long...
    and whatever you do, DO NOT USE the GUNK engine shine detailing spray.... i tried it, and yeah, it shines nice- but then it turns sticky and cakes dust...
    so yeah, use gunk only if you doing bare metal, and NEVER use the gunk engine shine
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

GUNK gives me a headache...Simple Green (don't let dry on Aluminum parts) or Purple Power (don't let it dry on anything) in diluted form works well. Spray and a couple of different sized brushes to agitate will make a big difference. The house toilet bowl brush is great for big areas(Just don't tell the wife what you are using it for). The garden hose on a spray setting will do the job. I cover the alternator & K&N filter with plastic. Power washer is OK for lower stuff.

I used to swear by Gunk back in the old days, but since Simple Green came out, I wouldn't use anything else. Easier on the composite materials and non-flammable. I cover any mass electrical components with plastic throw away grocery store bags.

HHR SS_________________The Heritage Hot Rod

People don't believe me, but I just spray the engine bay off at the car wash every once in a while with those power nozzles. I don't get too close to sensitive areas.

Been doing this for years.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast