GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Possible to add LATCH in the third row?

Hello,

Iam thinking about getting a 2009 Suburban for my wife. Would it be possible to install lower anchors to hold child restraints in the third row?

Best regards
    Markus

I've wondered that myself. I've been in vehicles that sometimes do, and sometimes do not, have LATCH anchors in the 3rd row, so I'm not sure what the criteria for having them in there is. I would think that they could be added safely, as it's just a welded piece of pipe tubing bended to make a U-type of shape. If you have some skills then I would think they could be added to the existing seats, but I wouldn't do it myself if I didn't have some skills and do some solid testing.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Hello,

Iam thinking about getting a 2009 Suburban for my wife. Would it be possible to install lower anchors to hold child restraints in the third row?

Best regards
    Markus
    I often wonder why the LATCH system is installed on some seats and not others. I will have to ask my sister in law, she designs seats! I would have to say that it would probably be possible to rig something up. That being said, I have to ask why? 98% of the children's car seats and infant car seat bases that I have installed or moved from one car to another are capable of being used with a seat belt. Be it shoulder or just lap belt. We just bought my wife a caravan, the third row does not have the latch system. So, both my sons seats are put in with the shoulder belt. They don't move at all and I have had them inspected at the fire station, they are fine. My 2003 yukon xl had a bench in the second row. There were 2 LATCH anchor systems right next to each other, but not one behind the drivers seat. I put my 4 year olds seat in with the shoulder belt. When I totaled the truck neither seat moved.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I installed anchors myself on our Volvo V50. The dealer had a anchor kit as spare parts. It was a simple bolt on. How is the anchors attached on the second seats? Does Chevrolet carry anchors as a spare part?

Let me check ...

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a diagram to the OEM latch assembly for the 2009 Suburban LT trim level. Latch is #14 in this diagram.

http://www.gmpartsclub.com/oem-part/...right/25896456

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ill.png 
Views:	451 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	48050

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I often wonder why the LATCH system is installed on some seats and not others. I will have to ask my sister in law, she designs seats! I would have to say that it would probably be possible to rig something up. That being said, I have to ask why? 98% of the children's car seats and infant car seat bases that I have installed or moved from one car to another are capable of being used with a seat belt. Be it shoulder or just lap belt. We just bought my wife a caravan, the third row does not have the latch system. So, both my sons seats are put in with the shoulder belt. They don't move at all and I have had them inspected at the fire station, they are fine. My 2003 yukon xl had a bench in the second row. There were 2 LATCH anchor systems right next to each other, but not one behind the drivers seat. I put my 4 year olds seat in with the shoulder belt. When I totaled the truck neither seat moved.
    I dont want to have any child seat in the front passanger seat. I have one 1.5 year old boy and will soon have twins. The twins will have Maxi Cosi seats can easily be detached from a base unit which is mounted with belt and LATCH. Drag a lever and the seat is detached from the car and snaps on to the stroller. Perfect for shopping stops etc.

I dont want to unmount one child seat every time i want access to the third row.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I dont want to have any child seat in the front passanger seat. I have one 1.5 year old boy and will soon have twins. The twins will have Maxi Cosi seats can easily be detached from a base unit which is mounted with belt and LATCH. Drag a lever and the seat is detached from the car and snaps on to the stroller. Perfect for shopping stops etc.

I dont want to unmount one child seat every time i want access to the third row.
    I would not put a child seat in the front seat either. It is illegal in most states and unsafe. It is a pretty tight fit across the third row with two infant seats and a regular car seat. It makes it pretty hard to pull the seats off the bases at times. I know what you are talking about with the base. We have a peg perego infant seat with the base. I put it in the truck with the shoulder belt mounting option per the peg perego instructions. The base still functions as it should and I can easily remove the seat and lock it in the stroller. I have also had more seats and bases in my truck for other kids. I have had 6 strapped in total at one time. When I have to add another child to the truck I do it behind the drivers seat, Then I leave the second row seat behind the passenger folded forward so I can have easy access to the third row.

Legend

I don't want to say you are wrong, but to play devils advocate, 14 looks more like the hinge for the folding mechanism for the backrest of the seat when it folds down. Also 18, 15, 16 look to be the plastic shrouds and protectors that go on each side. 18 to protect the fabric/leather and 15, 16 to protect fingers from getting pinched. Also, the vehicles that I have been in the LATCH hooks sit flat on the bottom part of the seat not sticking up like this could suggest. I may own an older suburban but those numbers I mentioned look almost identically to my hinges for the seat to fold flat. I could be wrong but just wanted to throw that out there.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Mine come out of the seat back on my 2005 xl with second row captains chairs. The leather is ct differently than the front seat. It is cut to go around the anchors.

I had an extended Envoy (3 rows of seats), it was very much like a Suburban. If I remember correctly, the anchors for the 3rd row of seats were the cargo tie down rings. The strap went over the seat, under the headrest, and clipped into the cargo ring.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by