GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Window Tinting Laws ~ Help me out here guys :D

So our Texas State law says you cant have under 25% tint on your front side windows, well 25% is too light for me, if I dropped it down to 20% you think the cops would notice is all that much?

From my experience, police will find a reason to pull you over if they want. I am not saying anything bad about police officers. But, driving next to you one will not be able to tell if you have 20% or 25%. So, if they want to pull you over they are going to whether you have 20% or 25%. From some of your recent posts it seems like you are a magnet for police in your area. Personally, I don't want to give an officer any reason to pull me over. Not that I have something to hide. I just don't want to be inconvenienced. In Michigan you can not have any tint on the front windows. So, in my last few trucks I have not done it. All I need is to have one beer within an hour of driving(which would put me over the legal limit here) and get pulled over for tinted windows.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Apprentice

Yeah, I under stand. The cops in my little town, they try to pull me over because I caused hell when i had my 1980 trans am, and now that i got my pickup they try to pull me over for all kinds of stuff. its horrible
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    From my experience, police will find a reason to pull you over if they want. I am not saying anything bad about police officers. But, driving next to you one will not be able to tell if you have 20% or 25%. So, if they want to pull you over they are going to whether you have 20% or 25%. From some of your recent posts it seems like you are a magnet for police in your area. Personally, I don't want to give an officer any reason to pull me over. Not that I have something to hide. I just don't want to be inconvenienced. In Michigan you can not have any tint on the front windows. So, in my last few trucks I have not done it. All I need is to have one beer within an hour of driving(which would put me over the legal limit here) and get pulled over for tinted windows.

Since its a 2 door just tint them doors legal and the back window darker. And if your I'm a little town you need just get good with the police then you'll never get bothered
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

I would tint the front the legal limit and consider an eyebrow. They cut down on a lot more light in the cab than you think they would. I'm not sure if they're illegal or not but I've never been hassled with a 6" eyebrow in La.

2010 OEM 20" Wheels
    Color-matched mirror covers and emblem
    20% tinted windows - 6" eyebrow
    Black rear fender-wells
    Completely debadged and demolded
    Duramax airbox replacement w/ K&N filter
    2" Rear drop shackle
    Tailgate light bar
    Flowmaster Delta 50 w/ double tip exits
    Blue footwell lighting
    12" Pioneer Sub (custom downfire box) 850W amp
    Full LED interior

Jr. Apprentice

in have "illegal" tint in my truck and i have never been bothered....knock on wood

If I'm not mistaken, state law here in Ohio is 50% on the side windows, and I've been running 20% on vehicles I've owned and I've never gotten so much as a funny look from a cop. So I would say you'll be fine. Just don't give them a reason to pull you over.
    09 Sierra SLT
    - Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
    - Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's
    - K&N 77 series cold air intake, Flowmaster super 10 series exhaust
    Next up: Smoked fog lights

2000 Silverado Z71
    - 4" body lift, 315/65/16 Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires
    - Stainless steel Excalibur catback exhaust
    - Lots more to come!

Since you already know your on their radar I dont think I'd give them an automatic reason to stop me every time they felt like it. But you are in a small Texas town and normally the police in those towns do what they want (with-in reason) anyways.
    In my older age I've gotten to the point where I try not to invite anymore drama than I have to in my life so I stick to legal things now.

Here in Missouri it's 35% max, and a $90 ticket each time.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Thread moved out of the coffee shop discussion forum.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today