GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 4x6 Dead Tandem Project

I've been running it through my head for awhile and I'm seriously debating turning my current truck into something that ain't seen very much. I'm a structural welder at where I work at. And I've been wanting to rig out for some time. But don't feel like paying over 15 grand for a used 1 ton flat bed truck to turn into a rig welder. I currently have a 4 inch lifted 94 K1500 chevy truck with a 5 speed, ext cab short bed. The bed is already shot and in need of complete replacing. Well I was thinking. What if I remove the bed, add about 3 foot to the frame *make it about equivalent with a LWB bed* and weld a second axle behind the first. Throw a 14 foot flat bed on it and put a new venture, or M3 granny 5 speed into it. It'd be a dead tandem 4x6. I already have all the tires. Got 3 left over from my last set that I use as spares *damn things to expensive just to get rid of* Maybe use 3/4 ton rear ends? I'm definatly going for 3/4 ton or 1 ton leaf springs and shocks. I figured if I placed the goose hitch on the bed equal between the two axles it would evenly distribute the load. Granted I could redneck all of this for about 5 grand or less instead of blowing 15 on another truck. Plus it'd be a head turning, and would look like one hell of a welding rig. Me and my gramps did this on a 1 ton before, but we moved the rear axle all the way to the end of the frame so it only touched ground when it was loaded with a goose neck. I want all 6 tires rolling all the time though. Thoughts? Input?
    94 Chevrolet K1500 4x4. 5.7L 350, 5-speed (AKA Betty) Or Rust Bucket...depends on if I'm mad at her.

Guess not lol.

That would be sick I wish our welding rig was like that its an old 3500 it could use alil more bed space. What axles you thinking about?
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Flaw is the 1500 frame isn't as tough as a 3500 frame....

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Is your added axle gonna be live or a drag axle?
    Axle choice will be a big concern since their arent many available that have an output drive, you cant mix axles very easy, they have to run ratios real close and have an equal final drive even if you run open diffs.
    A stronger T case will probably be needed too, I dont think the T case will live long in front of 2 axles, it's not built to take that kind of abuse.

The frame should be easy to strengthen and lengthen, plating the inside will help a lot, I'd probably chop the existing frame just at the begining of the downward slope of the rear part of the frame, this way the added portion could remain level and make it easier to choose springs. You'll need to carefully figure spring rates so the truck isnt over sprung and bounce around like an over inflated ball when un-loaded.