GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How Often To Replace Oxygen Sensors?

I have a 2002 Suburban with the 5.5 L flex fuel engine (Z) at 140K miles. I am getting no codes and the vehicle runs well.

Should I be concerned about the oxygen sensors?

The sensors are Denso and appear to be original (I have owned the Suburban since 80K). If I need sensors, should I use the part number stamped on the present sensors or go with the latest shown in the GM parts catalog. The numbers are not the same! There also seems to be some confusion in the parts catalogs concerning the connectors. Some show an in-line 4 pin connector and other catalogs show a 2X2 pin arrangement. For what it's worth, my Suburban was assembled in the Mexico plant.

O2 sensors will get lazy before they fail and when they get lazy, it usually lowers the mpg.

There is no set rule that I know of, but I change mine when I change the plugs.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Manufactures say around 50k...
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.