GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1994 Ext Cab lowering question

i am looking at buying a 1994 ext cab 1500 2wd pickup that has a belltech lowering kit on it. the owner says the front is lowered with 2" drop spindles and the rear with 4" hangers. my question is, how will this effect my towing capabilities if i were to buy this truck. also, what is involved with getting rid of the lowering kit? i know stock spindles for the front, but what about for the rear? i have never dealt with lowered trucks before. thanks.

I could be wrong, I would think that the towing capacity would be lower because you do not have the room for the suspension to compress with the weight of the trailer. Not to mention what weight the rear hangers are rated for. As far as returning it to stock goes, yes stock spindles up front and I would think that you could just remove the hangers and bolt the leaf springs back into the stock position. You will probably have to replace the shocks also.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Lowering in this manner wont affect the spring rate at all, but as pointed out the bump stops are now a lot closer.
    Front end wont pose a problem, but for the rear look at the Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) it's just about tailor made for this truck, while it'll maintain stock spring rates unloaded, which is what I assume the previous owner was attempting to achieve by using this method of lowering, when loaded it'll stiffen the spring rate and stop the rear from landing on the bump stops.
    http://www.activesuspension.com/
    I'm presently using this suspension on a 2011 1500 that I lowered 2" in the rear, it offers great roll control and helps handle my 18' ski boat or a car trailer well.