GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Slammed on the breaks, stalled, then would'nt restart.....

So I was driving down the road, slammed on the breaks and it stalled out. Put it in neutral tried to restart it, it would crank but not actually start. Put it back in park cause now comes the all serious face....did the same thing. Pumped the gas a lil, nothing. At one point I just got some smoke out the tail pipe while holding it down to start. We had a real bad smell of gas, but didn't see any leaks, popped the hood and didn't smell gas at all. Only smelt it while outside of the car. So I Google a quick car wont start after slamming on breaks....saw someone say push the gas peddle all the way to the floor then try to start....it struggled a lil bit but then started. Drove it home and seems ok now. But I'm not happy with that, why did it stall when I slammed on the breaks to come to a complete stop, and why wouldn't it start afterwards? Id like to fix it, if its something that caused it.

It's a 94 Suburban K1500

Someone I am sure will chime in. But I believe there is a safety valve or something in the fuel pump to stop the flow of gas to the engine in the event of an accident. That's my guess.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem, could have been a number of things, I'm guessing low fuel level in the tank, the sudden stop may have caused all fuel (including the amount held in the pump well) to fly forward and starved the pump.

It could also have been a fuel flooding problem, common on carb cars, but you should have a throttle body.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Yea its a throttle body, and has more than half a tank of gas.