GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default HU that works with steering wheel controls?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a head unit that would work with my factory steering wheel controls. My factory stereo sounds pretty decent, but I really want to upgrade...eventually. The only thing I was debating was whether to add an amp to my factory stereo or find a new one that would work with my controls...if that exists. Of course, I'll also upgrade the speakers, but one thing at a time. Anybody know? Thanks!
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

hey man. whats up? saw your post and i think i can help. i am the senior mobile electronics installer at best buy in new jersey. what you are trying to do is pretty simple as long as you are a little savy with electrical wiring and some programing.

i know that my store stocks the steering wheel interface for pioneer or sony (either brand will work with this interface). all you have to do is follow the digram that they give you with the interface. it will tell you the wire, or wires, that you have to tap into on the car. dont be intimidated at all the wires. you will only use a few of them. then all you have left to do is program it. this is a little confusing, just do the steps EXACTLY as it says. this unit is compatabale with any sony or pioneer head unit. ill get you the model number tomorrow.

i know that alpine also makes them. i have never seen an alpine one or intalled them, but i know they make them.

Quote Originally Posted by identityPRS View Post
    hey man. whats up? saw your post and i think i can help. i am the senior mobile electronics installer at best buy in new jersey. what you are trying to do is pretty simple as long as you are a little savy with electrical wiring and some programing.

i know that my store stocks the steering wheel interface for pioneer or sony (either brand will work with this interface). all you have to do is follow the digram that they give you with the interface. it will tell you the wire, or wires, that you have to tap into on the car. dont be intimidated at all the wires. you will only use a few of them. then all you have left to do is program it. this is a little confusing, just do the steps EXACTLY as it says. this unit is compatabale with any sony or pioneer head unit. ill get you the model number tomorrow.

i know that alpine also makes them. i have never seen an alpine one or intalled them, but i know they make them.
    Hey what bestbuy are you in ? ... and to the forums!
    04 Tahoe LT 5.3L stock MSD 8.5mm Wires
    Gigbson Duels Straight Exhaust, Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
    K&N 77 Series CAI, Sirius Radio
    De-badged, Valet Dei remote start
    5000k HID -Higherlevelauto.com
    Federal 100watt air horn

hey man im guessing your installing this head unit in your 05 silverado, first if you havent installed the head unit, your gonna need the harness to either keep your factory radio somewhere in the truck, or, your gonna buy a module, the module being easier but more money, then you need a steering wheel control harness with interface, and if you have onstar you need another harness for that too btw anyways, what im trying to say, is besides sony, any deck with a wireless remote, is compatible, some sony decks are too, but theres a couple exemptions.

im in the paramus store at the garden state plaza mall.

Thanks for the tips guys! I never knew there was such a thing as a steering wheel control interface. Whenever I decide to updgrade, I will be adding one of those into the installation. I will probably go with a Pioneer HU when the time comes. I've always had good luck with them. Thanks again for the help!

I just had the Pioneer Avic Z2 installed in my 08 Silverado, and had to get the module for the controls to work, and they do. I love it.

Legend

Want a good tip STAY AWAY FROM BEST BUY(sorry, they suck)! Almost every company makes this interface for aftermarket stereo. You want the best go with Alpine or Clarion.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16