GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Be cautions on cheap "chips, tuners"

Guy talked my buddy into buying one these things off ebay.

So he buys it and puts it on. I get a text message and he says his truck wont idle good.
    So he rides down and hooked my laptop to it with EFI Live.
    He tells me about this lil contraption so i took it off and truck still dont wanna idle right.
    Got my meter out and tested it, haha yea, talk about a rip. $30 down the drain.
    Opened it up and this is what i find.

Its a a 16 pin Dip. 39K ohms Resistor. Wires soldered to pins 1 and 16. cant find a value for what it should be. kinda curious as to what his rip off is suppose to read and trick the PCM into what IAT reading.

i tried testing it and it read 35 ohms one time but couldnt get a reading again.
    So basically $30 got him a cool lil black box with 2 wires, and a DIP resistor in epoxy with awesome sticker..

2 minutes of looking online and what do ya know!!!!

So be very careful on these cheap things.. a custom tune is the only way to go. i know diablo offers custom tuning with their intune setup.

- - - Updated - - -

I unhooked my IAT sensor on my truck and hooked this one up.. it was reading -14*F hahah thats a big ripoff.
    -Jonathan
    2000 ECSB Silverado 2WD
    LQ4 with Isky 215 Turbo Cam
    4L80E KB Racing S475 Turbo Kit

2. Thanks mfleetwood thanked for this post
    Likes mfleetwood liked this post

lol! that is pretty funny. At least they made it look pretty.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Yea the sticker fit perfect...

but all these things do is tap into your IAT sensor and tell it that the Intake Air temperature is alot colder which increases timing but also dumps alot of fuel to it. so no good.

Legend

Blog Entries

Thanks for starting this thread...good info for members to know.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Sr. Mechanic

You can also go with the range technology product to turn off AFM. Good results have been reported.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well I think they should remarket it, 100% gauaranteed to flush all the gunk out of your engine guaranteed or your money back. When I was learning to tune with HP tuners, I had a few times where it was running so rich that the gas actually got into the oil. That motor is spotless now lol, but we fixed all the damage that was caused by it.

I always do dyno tuning now, that's the best way. Although my mail order tune from Frost is doing well.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

I understand why people look for cheap stuff but you get what you pay for 90% of the time. You might luck out here and there.
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -