GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Person Shooter Games (and more) Forever Banned In My House

Not going to make a big deal about it, but this is very deep and the realism in all of the games that are out now is just insane.

I would be a bad parent to allow my kids to play video games where they do things like rob, steal cars, shoot people, etc. I took away Lego Batman from my kids because they can swap the game around and play as the bad guys, like the Joker. What's wrong with that? Well, one of the scenarios they have to play is rob a bank and shoot the guards.

Sure, 99% of people who play these games will never go out and actually gun someone down. But now that we're entering into the first full generation of kids who grew up with these games, who knows what the next 10, 15, 20 years has in store for us? It worries me quite a bit actually.

Keep in mind that this is not me saying that I'm going to be gun-free. Just going to take away the mindless entertainment factor of shooting and killing people in games.

Minecraft is looking better and better every day.

- - - Updated - - -

... in addendum, I'm not trying to tick anyone off. I've played FPS games in the past and I've never gone out on a shooting rampage, just like other other 50 million people who have played them have as well. But we're dealing with games that are now being introduced to kids at a very young age and they're starting to think that violent behavior is normal. Just look at how kids treat teachers and other authority figures these days in general. Just my thoughts as I, like everyone else, work all of this out.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Good for you Steve! My 4 year old is in preschool now. There are a few kids in his class that play the Modern Warfare series of games. Everything out of their mouths are, "I'm gonna shoot you" or "I will throw a fire grenade and burn you up"! My son has come home a few times and repeated these things. My wife and I immediately explain that what his friends are doing and saying is not real nor is it ok, then if it is repeated disciplinary actions are taken. I have a PS3, my son has never seen it played or played it. As far as he knows it is a DVD player. I just don't get these parents that are letting 4 year olds play games that are rated for 18+. I am not saying that letting my kids play the games would make them axe murderers, but I do feel that it desensitizes them to death and injury. When I was a kid there was really no blood in games like there is now. I mean Mario Brothers was pretty laid back, the worst of my time was mortal combat. Playing it did not make me think to go rip someones spine out. We also did not spend hours playing games. Us parents need to do our part in changing the course of our society. I am not naive and think that what I do with my kids will change society overall, but at least it will change in our homes and hopefully other kids my child interacts with. Who knows maybe one of my kids might be nice to another kid that is having a bad day and thinking about going on a rampage, it may change that child's mind or at least save my child.

I also am not trying to upset anyone. I am just sharing my thoughts about the subject. I would rather my boys (both under the age of 5) be under my truck with me wrenching on something or moding their powerwheel 4 wheeler and gator, then inside playing games. My 4 year old can solder better than most adults (Yes, we have modded the gator and 4 wheeler! They pull wheelies now, have brake pedals, alarms, and parking brakes!

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I think we want pics of those Mods....

Anyway it's called Peer pressure, If they have friends that have it they want it, If they see it on TV or in the toy store they want it!! If you don't get it for them they will down load it from some where or get it from a friend..

It's YOUR job to teach them write from wrong.....It all starts from home...Then school and friends house's...

It's very hard out there today...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Blog Entries

FPS games are !!?? well, I guess you have to judge the age of the kids playing them ??!!
    Our 2 boys play them ( but they are 17 and 22 ) and it is for friendly rivalry between them and
    their friends.Both kids are great students and honest-to-goodness down-home boys. One
    is so sports oriented, and the other is so social oriented...I guess my wife and I lucked out !!!
    Brian
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

FPS game like CoD:Black Ops are for adults, not children in elementary school.

For a parent to let their child play them is VERY irresponsible.

Despite all of us knowing how well Prohibition worked and, thus, being able to apply that scenario to the prohibition against other things, parents have to parent as they see fit. There's not really a right or wrong answer or approach...

I know if the games are yours, your kid's game that he/she is in there teens. I think you would be overreacting if you take it away from you and your teen. But if it would come down to little 8 year olds i think you would be doing the right thing. I know my school that i go to, i think they are overreacting drastically. Because they want to but new doors on the school that automatically lock when the close. Mostly every body up here in ND are exadurating all of this stuff way out of prepotion. Because if a shooter wanted to get in they could shoot out a window or just break the window.

Also i heard that American Guns the TV show on Discovery is getting cancelled and was just wondering if anybody else heard the same?
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Our schools in Gwinnett all for the most part have doors that can be shut incise of fire to shut down oxygen. I know the high school I went to was capable of locking down the school. This is also a school with at some times over 4k students. It's not a bad Idea. But about the games I'd have to agree that you shouldn't let little kids play grand theft auto. Just get them grand turismo or forza
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

ya mitchell you say your school has 4k students sometimes, mine has total k-12 probably about 150. Wouldnt you say that tat is a overreaction for such a small school?
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    FPS game like CoD:Black Ops are for adults, not children in elementary school.

For a parent to let their child play them is VERY irresponsible.
    AGREE!!! Any parent that lets their kid play those games are not responsible parents at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast