GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

A few years ago I was stuck in a snow drift. A guy pulled over and pulled me out. I tried to give him some money and he refused to take it.

I in turn help people someone that is stuck whenever I can.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I must be the only staunch capitalist, around. LOL! I'm charitable enough when it comes to those in actual need. I think that's key. Need. I'd never charge someone in need.

The guy in the BMW who is stuck during a non-emergency event because he was going to the convenience store for some smokes ... isn't in need. He can afford a tow truck ... and afford to wait. He can pay me if he doesn't want to wait ... or he can wait.

I'm very curious how @Enkeiavalanche handles this, as I know he advertises use of his truck on Craigslist in order to make extra cash. Those people who require a truck to help them move stuff are not much different from those people who require a truck to help them move their vehicles back onto the road. He charges for moving their stuff. Does he charge for helping them get back on the road? Both are services, so I'd expect some consistency if no one's in any danger or true 'need'.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I must be the only staunch capitalist, around. LOL! I'm charitable enough when it comes to those in actual need. I think that's key. Need. I'd never charge someone in need.

The guy in the BMW who is stuck during a non-emergency event because he was going to the convenience store for some smokes ... isn't in need. He can afford a tow truck ... and afford to wait. He can pay me if he doesn't want to wait ... or he can wait.
    I agree. I would not charge someone who is in need. A lady with a car load of kids that has a flat or an elderly person with a flat. I have no issue changing a tire for someone on the side of the road if they are in need. Most the time they offer to pay me something. If it is one of the above cases I refuse any pay. I am not going to take money from someone with a bunch of kids in their car. I know what it is like. I am also not going to accept money from an elderly person, I expect them to be on a fixed income. Getting that tire fixed is going to hurt their monthly budget as it is. If I am at an offroad park then charging someone never happens. Everyone is there to help each other. When a ford or dodge gets stuck the GM truck swarm to it so they can have the satisfaction of pulling it out. One time at Silver Lake sand dunes I buried my truck to the frame. A big ford came over to help me. I just waved him by and said, "No thanks". About 30 seconds later a nice late 70's silverado pulled up. It was an middle aged guy with his 5 or 6 year old daughter. I will never forget the look of Joy on that little girl's face when her dad pulled me out. So, I gave another chevy owner the joy of pulling me out, snubbed a Ford, and had fun all at the same time.
    Last edited by Pikey; 02-28-2013 at 02:19 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I am also not going to accept money from an elderly person, I expect them to be on a fixed income. Getting that tire fixed is going to hurt their monthly budget as it is.
    I don't discriminate based on age, as that's patently unfair. I have other reasons for this, too. For example, if you helped my father he would INSIST on compensating you. He's elderly ... and on a fixed income. However, he's also from an era where the correct and proper thing to do is to compensate a stranger for aid rendered ... and his personal pride and sensibilities would be hurt if he could not offer you something in return for what you did for him -- whether it was in the form of cash or simply giving you his name and number, telling you what he is good at, and telling you to call him if you ever needed him.

He would not let you leave empty handed. I grew up with that and am that way, myself. I interact with men of all ages as a result of some of my extracurricular activities ... and most of those who are my father's age are like this. Hence, if an elderly person insisted on compensation even after I declined, I'd likely accept something (be it a phone number, cash, whatever) in order to avoid offending him/her. Keep that in mind when deciding how to handle it ... if it ever comes up.

I always stop, man, woman, teenager, doesnt matter if theyre off in the rut or have a flat i always stop n make sure they're ok. If i'm pulling them out i tell them before i hook anything up that its at their risk. This one time we were partying to one of my buddies houses which was on the cross roads of 2 highways, well around midnite i happened to notice headlights shining prettymuch straight n i realized it was someone down in the ditch so i hopped in the truck n went to help em out.

It wound up being 2 asians in a minivan from NYC askin how to get to to the bridge( i live right on the canadian border.) well the car wasnt stuck too bad so i asked if they minded if i try driving it out, they said they didnt mind. Well when I opened the door i almost got knocked over with the stank of reefer. I noticed the whole back of the van was piled with blankets covering something. So I got in, started rockin it n after about 3 back n forths i had the thing out. I hop back out n just as im walkin back to my truck, they come up after me askin how much.
    Im like you dont me anything im just glad i could help, well the guy forced a bill on me so I take it n thank them, got in my truck n hit the road.

Not sure if its good karma or bad helpin smugglers out of the ditch or not but the best part about this story is when i got back to the party, I look in my pocket and the guy gave me a hundred bucks!!

The reason I always stop is because i was driving too fast one winter upta huntin camp n spun out. the road was on the side of a hill with about a 15 foot drop to the river below. At about 45 mph i put the Z71 sticker into a hickory tree on the river side. I get out of the truck and as i go to set my feet on the ground i free fall about 4 feet n then slide down the hill n into the water. Soaking wet i climbed back up the bank and up into my truck. Freezing im sitting there not knowing what im gonna do. Its 9 oclock at night, Its snowing to beat the band, My trucks stuck 5 miles from camp on a back road and I'm wet.

Well doesn't a lifted red 3/4 ton avalanche come along and stop. The guy in it didnt have a strap but I did so between the 2 of us We got her out. I chuckle about it sometimes that I made a deal with the devil(RED AV) that night to get out of the sinking ship i was in and thats why i have to help people every time i see people stuck. lol

Could you imagine the police pulling up just as you were driving the van out?
    Buy Made in USA, The job you save just might be your own.

Quote Originally Posted by E_HILLMAN View Post
    That was the first thing I thought of. I was reading along and waiting to get to the part that the cops pulled up just when he got it out. Then the two men walked over to your truck, hopped in and said, "Looks like he got it out himself officer, have a good night" and then drove away leaving you with their pot filled van.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by E_HILLMAN View Post

Funny part is that I pulled in to talk to the guy and just as I was hooking up the strap they did pull up!!! My exact words were "Oh GREAT" as me and the cops did not used to get along when I was younger and dumber. They guy said no he was already here and went to get a shovel to lend me. He came and said hi to me and watched us hook them up then left before I was in the driver seat. Im thinking he did not want to be around if something did happen.

I totally agree with everything you have said in this post. I dont think I would ever take money from someone who is obviously not well off and not being a complete idiot in bad weather. But obviously if they are not using their brain and have money then why not charge them. It aint cheap to own and operate a truck, especially with all the equipment you have invested in. I only wish I could have all that on my truck!

All in all no matter what if they offer me money Im probably going to take it. I mean they put themselves in the situation so they can pay to get out. And for the guy I pulled out, I mean who tries to turn around in the middle of a yard in a foot of snow while driving a minivan. He needed to get charged so he may learn a lesson and not do it again, Oh ya and it was at about 11:45 p.m. with girls loaded in it so I think the payment was well justified!

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    In 1993 on Easter weekend we had a bad snowstorm when I was living near Atlanta, Ga. at the time I had a 91 Jeep Wrangler that I'd put a new Ramsey 8K winch on the weekend before, I spent all weekend driving around pulling out anything I could with that winch, didnt ask for a penny, just trying to be helpful.
    A few weeks later a lady that I'd pulled out of a creek bed saw my Jeep when we went to a local Dinner for dinner (the Jeep was distinctive since it was school bus yellow and had "Leon Rosser Jeep" at the top of the windshield) she and her husband came over and let us know that from then on whenever we visited their Diner our meals were free. Sometimes good deeds have a life of their own.
    kinda funny me n my family just watched a Home video from that storm. It was pretty big for GA

but about the topic. Weather it's bad weather, a mud hole or broke down. I will stop for just about anyone who seems to not be a threat. I guess growing up in a small town gave me the help your neighbor attitude. I'm also racking up karma points lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    In 1993 on Easter weekend we had a bad snowstorm when I was living near Atlanta, Ga. at the time I had a 91 Jeep Wrangler that I'd put a new Ramsey 8K winch on the weekend before, I spent all weekend driving around pulling out anything I could with that winch, didnt ask for a penny, just trying to be helpful.
    A few weeks later a lady that I'd pulled out of a creek bed saw my Jeep when we went to a local Dinner for dinner (the Jeep was distinctive since it was school bus yellow and had "Leon Rosser Jeep" at the top of the windshield) she and her husband came over and let us know that from then on whenever we visited their Diner our meals were free. Sometimes good deeds have a life of their own.
    kinda funny me n my family just watched a Home video from that storm. It was pretty big for GA

but about the topic. Weather it's bad weather, a mud hole or broke down. I will stop for just about anyone who seems to not be a threat. I guess growing up in a small town gave me the help your neighbor attitude. I'm also racking up karma points lol
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post

I'm very curious how @Enkeiavalanche handles this, as I know he advertises use of his truck on Craigslist in order to make extra cash. Those people who require a truck to help them move stuff are not much different from those people who require a truck to help them move their vehicles back onto the road. He charges for moving their stuff. Does he charge for helping them get back on the road? Both are services, so I'd expect some consistency if no one's in any danger or true 'need'.

Well my Bosses Son with the Range Rover I made him buy me lunch after I got him Unstuck..If someone offers me money for pulling them out then by all means take it... If not A thank you will be fine....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast