GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Spare tire stuck?

So I just got this 04 z71 and the spare tire was still brand new. I wanted to lower it to make sure it wasn't rusted up there incase I get a flat. Well I get the tools out (also brand new!), and the cable drops down but the tire hangs a few inches from the bed. It's definitely loose and swinging. The cable keeps going through the tire:

I've had Silverado spare tires down before and I don't remember anything that would keep it up there if the cable is dropping. I hit it a bunch with a hammer with no results.

Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by travisn View Post
    So I just got this 04 z71 and the spare tire was still brand new. I wanted to lower it to make sure it wasn't rusted up there incase I get a flat. Well I get the tools out (also brand new!), and the cable drops down but the tire hangs a few inches from the bed. It's definitely loose and swinging. The cable keeps going through the tire:

I've had Silverado spare tires down before and I don't remember anything that would keep it up there if the cable is dropping. I hit it a bunch with a hammer with no results.

Ideas?
    The Video's below maybe able to help, they show why the Spare Tire won't come down.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

3. Thanks Goldie thanked for this post
    Likes Goldie liked this post

All that corosion and rust makes me ask: was truck in a flood or parked in salt water???
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

You southern folks just don't know what it's like to live in the salt belt. That amount of rust and corrosion on an 04 would be considered GOOD condition round here

Airaid. Borla. Blackbear. RCX.

The Squatcherado!

6. Likes jgme liked this post
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    All that corosion and rust makes me ask: was truck in a flood or parked in salt water???
    up in the rust belt things are a lot different than texas. up here we do not stay home during snow / ice storms etc. we have plows and chemicals put down as they roll down the road all day long until the storm stops. this is why we get that type of rust. On a vehicle a family member had the tire winch rusted so bad it almost fell off, it was banging around.

I keep my spare in the truck bed .. I do have a locking cover so my spare is like new and the under carriage also looks good because the spare holds all those de icing chemicals ..

10 years in the rust belt is very tough ...

Hey Mike! Thanx for posting the videos. For me, at least, they are great refresher and also a reminder for me make sure my spare will lower properly after the winter. It will be a spring project (that is if we ever get a spring!) and it is warm enough for me to roll around on my driveway.

I am with J Cat on this one. I always take the spare off shortly after buying and let it stay in the bed. I don't have it lock or secured, but the risk out here in farm country is very low of anything getting swiped. I do have a canvas spare tire cover on it to protect it from UV. On my 2013 I bought last June. I waited a while before taking the spare down. In two months time, it had accumulated enough gravel and dirt that I almost had to take a pressure washer to it to clean it up. Would have been a real pain if I needed it before I removed it. I have a double whammy, in that I not only have the ice, snow, salt issues, but I also have a lot of gravel roads, mud, and off road cow pastures and cornfields to deal with. The OEM spare location is definitely a poor design for folks like me.

But there is also an added benefit to removing it from under the bed. I can do differential lube changes and other maintenance stuff a lot easier not having the tire up under there.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

Thanks for the replies everyone, and yea this truck is pretty clean, which is pretty sad. Time/money constraints didn't allow me to get one from down south. Next time (I always say this though)

I just went thru this on my 2005. I found the same videos the mike has posted. I still could not get it down. the channel lock trick did not work. I took the license plate off, lowered the tire until it caught, and then took a long wooden dowel rod, put it against the locking mechanism and smacked it with a hammer. It dropped! I lubed the crap out of the safety latch. Worked it back and forth for 30 minutes with channel locks. I cranked the tire up and it would not come back down. So I did the same dowel rod trick. I then wrapped the latch in electrical tape hoping to stop it from engaging. It still did not work. One of these days I will lower it and cut the hook part off the mechanism. until then I am carrying the dowel rod and hammer in my tool kit just in case.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)