GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1999 silverado passenger side body damage

hey i could use a little help if possible, i have a 99 ext.cab silverado 3 door,well it was hit on the pass.side and killed both doors,i have bought 2 used doors to go back on it but it bent the cab post where the 3rd door bolts to or maybe called cab corner my question is how much trouble would it be to cut out the bent section and replace with one from a parts truck,the piece i would be replacing is about 18 or 20 inch long.or would it be better to try and beat the bent up piece back out and what all years interchange on this part and the fender also any help would be appreciated thanks

Quote Originally Posted by t70nova View Post
    hey i could use a little help if possible, i have a 99 ext.cab silverado 3 door,well it was hit on the pass.side and killed both doors,i have bought 2 used doors to go back on it but it bent the cab post where the 3rd door bolts to or maybe called cab corner my question is how much trouble would it be to cut out the bent section and replace with one from a parts truck,the piece i would be replacing is about 18 or 20 inch long.or would it be better to try and beat the bent up piece back out and what all years interchange on this part and the fender also any help would be appreciated thanks
    Without being able to see the damage, to the door's you've mentioned, sorry its a little hard to say which would be the best route to go, in making those repairs??.....and the Years that are Interchangeable, for Front Door's and Front Fenders, it would be the 99" to 07" Silverado's 1/2 Tons and the 2000" to 2006" Tahoe's/Suburban's 1/2 Tons.

Below are Diagram's from LMC Trucks,

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

hey thanks that was helpful if i can get a pic i will try and post it on here thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by t70nova View Post
    hey thanks that was helpful if i can get a pic i will try and post it on here thanks again
    Your Welcome....

Though it is hard to picture what the damage is, negative on the "beating it out". I would get a manual or hydraulic press set up to bend it back in shape (provided it does not have compound dents), using heavy channel iron or bar stock on both sides of the bend, and forming it into original contour. Any frame repair shop will have the tools, also, and might give advice. Your finished product needs to be near perfect, or the doors will not meet properly (best case), and might not close/seal/lock, or worse. You don't want to put 40 hours of work into something that doesn't seal against moisture, or won't open or latch properly.

Good luck! If you can do it yourself, and get it reasonably right, you have saved a lot of bucks.

yeah i might have got in over my head on this one,it just pushed the corner in and back a little i had a buddy suggest that i just weld that 3rd door up solid but that defeats having a extended cab,i am going to give it a shot i might end up cuttin out the post and replacing it,i have had a little experience i have replaced 1/4 and floorpans in camaro and nova

If you were to weld it solid, you would likely have to change out your pass seat, because I doubt your current one has a full-slide release for rear seat access. Anyway, yes, it would defeat the purpose. If you done other metal projects like you describe, I bet you can get it pretty close.

i didnt think about the seat being a problem and i just checked your right it dont have a full slide,i will post some pics tom. before i get started and then post more as i progress along thanks