GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default The Most Unusual Electrical Problem with 2000 F1500 Silverado 4wd

I was driving my 2000 Silverado truck and from the dash I hear a medium sound click , like a relay. At the same time ABS,and check Brake lights on dash come on. The speedometer goes to zero, the trip mileage goes to 8888888, and returns to normal then repeats this for about 10 seconds.

I stopped about a mile down the road. Went in and came back out and it started and everything appears normal, then 1/4 mile it starts again and the fuel pump and transmission does not work, then starts to work okay again.I get home and disconnect the battery and reconnect. Everthing appears ok

The next day, I drive 100 miles with no problems. Go to auction and afer the auction it does it again after about 1/4 mile. Then in 1/4 starts working okay again. I stopped at a O'Rellys and they thought it might be the alternator. Since the battery light came on sometimes but did not have the tools to remove the belt. Drove back 100 miles with no problems.

There has never been a check engine light come on although my check battery light comes on at times.

Any suggestions.

I would have the battery and alternator tested. I would suspect that you have some other electrical issue going on also, but would fix the charge light issue first. that may resolve some of the other issues. I have heard of the power supply for the instrument cluster going bad and causing issues. But, when that happens they usually just go dead. They can test the alternator right on the truck. Although, I have been told that a bench test is more accurate. What do you mean that they did not have the tool to remove the belt? On those you only need a ratchet. On my 05 you just need a basic socket set. I had alternator issues and changed my alternator multiple times with a basic socket set, no special tools required. Yes it is easier with a long bar, but in a jamb you use what you have.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Deal with the charging problem first. If, after that, the problem persists, I'd start looking for a short. (The so-called 'click' you're hearing could be the muffled sound of an exposed wire shorting to ground...)

I'm thinking you have a loose connection in the fuse panel. I don't have a diagram of your truck, so I don't know which panel.

Try the one under the hood first, see if any fuses appear loose, try shaking the wires coming from/going to the panel.

You may need someone in the cab to watch for the problem,
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)