GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default starter ignition problem

Sometimes my truck will not start. I replaced the starter relay (fuse box under the hood) and that seemed to help for a while. I can tap the top of the relay and get power to the starter and I have even just tapped the fuse box under the hood and got it work. Then there has been times that didn't work. Yesterday it wouldn't start and tapping on the relay didn't work. I got under the truck and tapped on the starter and solenoid with my pocket knife and it started. Today it wouldn't start and I tapped on the relay and got it started. I am thinking there is a loose connection under the fuse box. Has any had this problem before? This is a 2005 Sliverado.

Legend

next time do not tap anything .have a person hold the key in the crank position and move the wires at/on the starter. move the fat wires first. if it cranks then the starter solenoid contacts are worn /pitted and you will need a new starter. you did check for loose wires at the starter first ?

yes I did check the starter wires and they were tight.

What does it do when you try to crank the car and it doesn't start?

no power to the starter. no sounds, just power every where else

You'll want to check for a bad Solenoid then. You will want to check your battery and the wires to make sure that the battery has good voltage and there is not a bad ground. But, more than likely you'll be looking at replacing the starter (the solenoid is attached to the starter). You can remove the starter and take it to an Autozone and they'll check if it's good or not for free.

I replaced the battery last month. I had the dealer check it since that is where I bought the battery at. This problem has been going on for over a year. It doesn't happen often just at the worst possible times.

Legend

the solenoid can stick. the check would be to have some one hold the key in the crank position as you with a voltmeter check for voltage at the big wire to /at the starter solenoid. ALSO MAKE SURE THE ELECTRICAL STARTER CONNECTION FROM SOL TO STARTER IS TIGHT. THE ONE WITH NO WIRE RUNNING DOWN TO IT.

I am assuming you mean to check when ever the starter has no power???????

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    the solenoid can stick. the check would be to have some one hold the key in the crank position as you with a voltmeter check for voltage at the big wire to /at the starter solenoid. ALSO MAKE SURE THE ELECTRICAL STARTER CONNECTION FROM SOL TO STARTER IS TIGHT. THE ONE WITH NO WIRE RUNNING DOWN TO IT.

Legend

well if you can get it to crank then how will you find the problem when there is no problem ? the only way to find the exact cause would be to operate the vehicle until failure occurs to find the exact cause. the starter is highly suspect if you checked all wiring and cleaned inspected all connections. now the starter/solenoid is the wear/damage component that needs replacing after many years of use. if this vehicle is used with many short trips daily with many crank cycles this may occur much earlier in time and mileage.