GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Blackbear Re-tune

Headed up to San Antonio in a bit to get my truck retuned tomorrow. Going to give the 93 octane tune a try and adjust some shifting points as well. I will post results on here over the next few weeks with the results of the new tune!
    Currently right now with city driving I fill up 26 gallons about every 340-360 miles (around 13.2-13.8 mpg), so hopefully Ill see those numbers go up a little bit...
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Yikes. I wouldn't want to spend the extra cash on 93! I'm pulling 13.8 - 14.3mpg combined as of late ... on 87 octane. That's on the winter mix and with me doing 80ish miles of my 475-485 mile range (on 34 gallons) laden with material for storage.

I am perplexed at my 4WD V8 w/ efans, shorter gears, and likely more weight (due to bigger tires, a matched full-size spare, a winch, second battery, 225 sq. ft. of sound deadening, and a truck box full of things like jacks, stands, winching gear, etc.) getting better mpg than a 2WD V6. Do you do a lot of city driving or something? My habits are about 50/50 city/hwy right now.

Actually. Up until I just moved this week, my drive is usually a 7 mile straight shot to work and back down the highway. No stops. And a 3 mile stretch with no stop signs to school and back (45 mph), of course wandering the university parking lot for a space doesn't help gas.
    But yes I have always thought it weird that my v6 in fact is proven to get less mileage than a v8 somehow. From numerous mechanics, google, research, the only things I seem to see is that having a v8 makes the engine not work as hard to get the truck moving. The 4.3 has NEVER been a sufficient engine for a full size truck, and there is practically nothing that has changed since the year 2000. The 2012 4.3 I believe is still rated at the exact same horsepower and torque as mine. (200 HP,240 ft/lb) they don't improve my engine like they do the v8, as you see every year the v8 has more horsepower, more torque, more mpg, etc. not so in the 4.3 don't know why...
    But before I ever even out the lift, bigger tires, and regear in my truck. I still never saw many days over 15 mpg.
    After my move this week I have nothing but stop lights to school and work so I presume mpg will only get worse with time.
    I'm always pissed when I pull a fat dually into a bay to work on and know he has twice the horsepower and more than twice the torque of my truck, and STILL gets better mpg than me!
    Mpg just isn't friendly on my truck....
    Except for the one time last April I drove to Dallas for tough mudder, AND to get my blackbear tune, I drove straight from Corpus Christi to Dallas in cruise control at 62 mph, and I calculated 18 mpg. And obviously that was with the wind too. That was the highlight of my trucks life! Lol

Legend
    Blog Entries

I would say your trucks not running right or something??? I have an 05' 2500HD 6.0 4.10 gears, 31" 10 ply tires, and I have stayed right at 14mpg since it was new, now has 36,000 miles on it. I also run 93 because of my HP tune I have on it, I think the truck runs better on 93.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

got the retune from justin today!

after a little dilemma with my truck!(will post on this later)

he tweaked my 1-2 shift to be a little firmer which he agreed seemed very slushy for some reason, but the corvette servo helped the 2-3 shift greatly... also I am now running the 93 octane tune. Will be another few weeks or so before I can start to even draw conclusions about mpg gains. But as of now I only put my 160 mile drive from san antonio back to corpus christi on it, which of course is INTO the wind...

ALSO justin notified me that my distributor is -12 degrees off...
    Ill need to go get it aligned properly by someone with a scan tool, he was reading some random misses at idle on my truck and found this...
    He says it is such a small increment off that, although it is possible a 5 minute job, you cant be sure its right on spot without the use of a scanner.

it SEEMS to run "smoother" but I might be thinking optimistically here, Hopefully the long run will give me more determinate answers to this.

Legend

our 98 blazer 4 dr 4x4 never did any better then a V8 as far as MPG, maybe once in a GREAT while it got 20mpg on a long run but that was never more then 60mph, otherwise it was a solid 16 since the day we bought it to the day it rolled 200k, they are just not great MPG engines.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    Actually. Up until I just moved this week, my drive is usually a 7 mile straight shot to work and back down the highway. No stops. And a 3 mile stretch with no stop signs to school and back (45 mph), of course wandering the university parking lot for a space doesn't help gas.
    But yes I have always thought it weird that my v6 in fact is proven to get less mileage than a v8 somehow. From numerous mechanics, google, research, the only things I seem to see is that having a v8 makes the engine not work as hard to get the truck moving. The 4.3 has NEVER been a sufficient engine for a full size truck, and there is practically nothing that has changed since the year 2000. The 2012 4.3 I believe is still rated at the exact same horsepower and torque as mine. (200 HP,240 ft/lb) they don't improve my engine like they do the v8, as you see every year the v8 has more horsepower, more torque, more mpg, etc. not so in the 4.3 don't know why...
    But before I ever even out the lift, bigger tires, and regear in my truck. I still never saw many days over 15 mpg.
    After my move this week I have nothing but stop lights to school and work so I presume mpg will only get worse with time.
    I'm always pissed when I pull a fat dually into a bay to work on and know he has twice the horsepower and more than twice the torque of my truck, and STILL gets better mpg than me!
    Mpg just isn't friendly on my truck....
    Except for the one time last April I drove to Dallas for tough mudder, AND to get my blackbear tune, I drove straight from Corpus Christi to Dallas in cruise control at 62 mph, and I calculated 18 mpg. And obviously that was with the wind too. That was the highlight of my trucks life! Lol
    I know exactly what you are saying. I had an 1998 GMC somoma 2wd with a 4 cylinder. My sister bought a 1998 sonoma 4x4 with a 6 cylinder. She consistently got 3 miles per gallon better than I did. My little 4 cylinder had to work really hard compared to her 6 cylinder.

its funny, my dad has a 98 blazer 4x4 with the 4.3 and he gets 20+ regularly.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    its funny, my dad has a 98 blazer 4x4 with the 4.3 and he gets 20+ regularly.

Alex
    My oldest sister also bought a 98 blazer 4x4 the same year. She also got better MPG than my 4 cylinder sonoma. I am sure that the gearing of my sonoma was the issue. It came from the factory with a 4:10. They had yo put that gear in it or it would have never moved out of its own way.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)