GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2000 Silverado 5.3 MAP sensor connector wires melted

2000 Silverado 5.3 MAP sensor connector wires melted, wires was touching. Code P0108- P0151- P0300- P0401. Replaced EGR, went to replace MAP sensor and found the three wire connector, the wires was bare and touching. Anyone have this before??

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly Gem View Post
    2000 Silverado 5.3 MAP sensor connector wires melted, wires was touching. Code P0108- P0151- P0300- P0401. Replaced EGR, went to replace MAP sensor and found the three wire connector, the wires was bare and touching. Anyone have this before??
    never seen the map wires/connectors with that problem. so why did the wire insulation get damaged ? rodents? carb cleaner or other damaging solvents ?

Looked like the way it was made. The three wires was twisted all the way to the connector. I expect as the wire got warm and the wire insulation aged the wire melted into other wire then burning all together. I don't understand why they would twist those wires so tight going into the connector. I gently seperated the wires wraped with electric tape. Pluged it back into MAP sensor, i can drive my truck again.

Legend

If that is what you found ,then this was changed from the factory wiring. all the wires are covered with a plastic shield , also tape is used near//at the connectors. twisting of the small wires stresses out these very easy to break copper strands. the plastic and tape also protects from using damaging solvents and rodents.

This imo was factory.... is there a way to test a MAP sensor? i just wonder.

Legend

If your the orig owner and this is what you found that would be hard to explain. I am the orig owner of a 2000 sil 4X4 . april 2000 I picked up my ordered SILVERADO. WIRES NOT TWISTED.IF The map should not be effected by shorted wires but the PCM/COMPUTER I would expect some damage. did you clear the codes ? If no codes then your lucky.