GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

@Steve, Nak actually has some fairly ludicrous speed and storage requirements given his photography and editing business. I don't think he meant it as trash talk ... it was just very matter-of-fact.

I too build my own desktops. I find that in the higher end I get more value.

Specs.

Core i7 3770 3.4GHz
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3SH
    EVGA GeForce GTX 550Ti 2GB
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD
    WD 2TB storage HDD
    20X DVD Burner
    Cooler Master 690 II Advanced USB 3.0 case
    OCZ ZT 650W Power Supply

I get 7.7 on the Windows 7 system rating.

I run Ubuntu Linux 99% of the time and have a Windows 7 partition for when I need a Windows only program.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    What software are you using Sgt? I have Swift WX installed, then I saw the subscription costs and I removed it. Then I saw GRLevel X and that is nice but it only shows 1 radar at a time.
    I use GRLevel3. I also have the Radarscope app on my phone (which is very nice) but computer based is a lot more convenient for a quick glance while I'm mobile. Growing up in Oklahoma I learned a lot about radar signatures so I generally only switch over to velocity to confirm a specific one I'm looking at.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

Trust me, having that 10% extra power for the 100% increase in price is not everyone's cup of tea. But when I am processing 100 folders with 1000 10-20mg Raw files in them with a specific set of actions in photoshop, the number of cores and memory start digging in allow due to "volume" of data, basically how fast do you want it to get done with the least amount of down time.

Couple that with the fact that the 64bit version of windows 7, 8 and windows server 2003-2012 address more than 4gb of ram and the 64 bit version of photoshop is optimized for that, it comes down to time vs. money.

And adding to that, that SQL server is one hell of a memory hog......

Over 1 batch job I am saving many hours of processing time for me to do better things.

And of course the machines will surf the web, run office, etc..... but that is not the intention.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Oh no you di-n't. Let the computer trash taking commence.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really need all that much power anymore, most of everything that I do is based off website type of work and maybe I need to run some of the Adobe CS stuff (no video rendering) now and again.

Not trying to bash.... When I start a batch job in Photoshop on 100 folders with 1000 raw files in it, and I come back an hour later to find that there was a memory issue or the batch job is hung and I have to start over, it costs me allot of money.

I know the wrong way to fix the problem is to throw more hardware at it, but hey, I can't control the crap that these software companies put out, so the simplest way to fix the problem is give it too much hardware so it run through the process with out stopping.

When they finally optimize the software, then you get that much more done in the same amount of time. I also look at the hardware investment over the course of its life span.

You can buy a $500 pc and replace it every year or 2 and it is just enough to get you by. Or you take the initial hit, have hardware that will scream the day you buy it, and 10 years later when that amount of processing power comes to the $500, you reaped the benefits of the speed while it was ahead of the game. and put out about the same amount of money annually for that screaming mad fast hardware that the pc that was getting by did.

- - - Updated - - -

Just like buying a brand new truck off the lot at the dealer, the minute you drive off, you loose 25% of what you paid, but you bought a certain amount of reliability at the same time, unless you turn it over in the first 3 years.

not that my wifes and Is laptops are any great shakes, but I used to give my dad crap that my smartphone had more horsepower then his old desktop. (cpu wise) he finally upgraded.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    not that my wifes and Is laptops are any great shakes, but I used to give my dad crap that my smartphone had more horsepower then his old desktop. (cpu wise) he finally upgraded.

Alex
    On that note my friends phone now has more power than my comp at 1.8GHz, but he has 1/3 the ram so I still win....

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

yeah, my dads old desktop had more memory and ram, but i had him in cpu. my galaxy S3 actually has a fair amount of ram. a full gig!

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    I like it, but its a little slow for me

My current desktop (the important parts):

• Intel Q6600
    • Asus Striker Extreme
    • 8GB DDR2
    • 2x ATI 4870's 2gb DDR3 each
    • USB 3.0 add on card
    • Dual Gigabit ethernet
    • 3x Dell 2408WPF 24inch LCD monitors

(Keep in mind, I built that system back in 2006)

6 months ago I decided I needed a laptop for Photoshop, Video editing, etc that I can take on the road and be able to run SQL server, so the laptop I have had since January is:

• Alienware M17xR4
    • QM3840 8mb cache
    • 32gb DDR3 1600mhz
    • 2x WD 500gb 7200rpm in Raid 0
    • 4 USB 3.0 ports
    • Blu Ray Rom
    • 2x external Pioneer BRXL 128gb blu ray burners in Nexus USB 3.0 enclosures

I am pricing a new tower right now which will consist of:

• Asus dual socket 2011 motherboard
    • 2 intel hex core processors with hyperthreading (12 physical cores, 24 cores total)
    • 96gb DDR3
    • 2x AMD 7990's
    • I am going to use my existing case, PSU and hard drives
    Slow is not a word to describe my new computer. When you get your new puter built I would like to compare numbers just for fun. Nice to see that I am not the only one that likes computers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I too build my own desktops. I find that in the higher end I get more value.

Specs.

Core i7 3770 3.4GHz
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3SH
    EVGA GeForce GTX 550Ti 2GB
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD
    WD 2TB storage HDD
    20X DVD Burner
    Cooler Master 690 II Advanced USB 3.0 case
    OCZ ZT 650W Power Supply

I get 7.7 on the Windows 7 system rating.

I run Ubuntu Linux 99% of the time and have a Windows 7 partition for when I need a Windows only program.
    Nice build, nice truck too. I see I'm not the only one wanting speed............. I wish I could do something to speed up this web site but that is up to Steve.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    yeah, my dads old desktop had more memory and ram, but i had him in cpu. my galaxy S3 actually has a fair amount of ram. a full gig!

Alex
    The international version of the GS3 has 1gb ram and a Quad Core CPU. The US Version has a dual core CPU and 2gb of ram.

I bought the US version with 2gb ram, and 32gb internal storage and I have a 64gb MicroSD XCHC card in the slot (96gb) of total storage space....... and unfortunately it is full.

Sandisk has had 128 and 256gb memory cards and has not released them yet (for about 4 years now).

It's a shame. I am not at the point where a 256gb micro SDXCHC card would be full on my phone but I am 60% there if I had one now.
    Last edited by PantheraUncia; 03-05-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Anyone else do some serious gaming on their rigs? PC > PS3/XBox

Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm comes out a week from today. Anyone up for some 1v1?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast