Hi everyone, newbie to this forum here. I've recently purchased a 94 C1500 chevy truck from my work--it was an old fleet vehicle. I know next to nothing about cars but I'd really like to learn. I had a mechanic check it out when I first bought it and they said it was in good working condition, other than an oil leak I didn't want to pay to fix... Anyway, I have one problem with the truck since I got it and that is that if I keep the battery connected to the truck it drains it within like 2 days. But that isn't why I'm posting. On Saturday I put the battery in, started up just fine, drove it for a few miles and got to a gas station and put some gas in it. Then it wouldn't start up and hasn't since. No cranking, nothing. I noticed that the temperature gauge shoots up way past maximum when I do try to start the car. Battery is fine, lights go on and such so I don't think it's the battery this time (and the battery gauge does show a charge).

I don't know if this is related but when it wouldn't start, I had to push it out of the way. I put it in neutral so my friend could push it but I don't think the truck knew it was in neutral because the brakes were still being applied. It was very hard to push. After switching it several times from park to neutral (like 10 times) it finally stopped doing that and I was able to push it fine. I had it towed to my house. Any suggestions would be so appreciated. I can put some money into the thing but I'd like not to have to put too much. Thanks.

Jordan