GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Newbie....Have Questions about DL3 to DL8 Mirror Swap

Lurking for awhile.Really trying to find about more about a dl3 to dl8 swap.Also other things about my truck as well.Have a 2012 Silverado ext cab 4X4 5.3.

****Thread Moved****
    To The
    General Chevy/G.M. Tech Section

In this Section it will net you a higher count of replies,
    to your questions.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

I was wondering if any members were still around that tried this earlier.Thread just died it looked like.I have spent alot of time searching on the net to find out about this and the best I got was on this forum Drews Z71.The thread is almost 3 yrs old now.Anybody else tyr this tricky mod?

Quote Originally Posted by marjsj View Post
    I was wondering if any members were still around that tried this earlier.Thread just died it looked like.I have spent alot of time searching on the net to find out about this and the best I got was on this forum Drews Z71.The thread is almost 3 yrs old now.Anybody else tyr this tricky mod?
    Here's a G.M. Service Bulletin regarding the DL3...DL8 Swap, I don't know know if you've seen it??....

G.M. Service Bulletin
    Document ID# 2008538

Subject: Swapping Outside Rearview Mirrors RPOs DL8 / DL3 / DPN - keywords rear power folding camper change door body out side #PIT4417B - (08/31/2007)

Models: 2007-2008 Chevrolet Silverado

2007-2008 GMC Sierra

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIT4417A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
    Some owners may request to have a different style mirror installed on their vehicle or request a different mirror before they purchase the vehicle. The new electrical architecture for the Silverado and Sierra has made swapping of the mirrors a more involved procedure than with previous models.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    When swapping mirrors on a vehicle, the first thing that needs to be known is if the vehicle is equipped with door modules or not. The easiest way to determine if the vehicle has door modules is to use the Tech 2 and try to communicate with the "Drivers Door Switch" and "Passenger Door Switch". If the Tech 2 can communicate with these modules then the vehicle is equipped with door modules. If the Tech 2 cannot communicate with the door switches then the vehicle does not have door modules and the wiring between the driver and passenger mirrors is hard wired. The information below will be divided into two different areas: 1. Swapping mirrors on a vehicle equipped with Door Modules, and 2. Swapping mirrors on a vehicle NOT equipped with Door Modules.

Swapping mirrors on a vehicle equipped with Door Modules
    The information in this section covers three different mirrors to swap on vehicles equipped with door modules: Base Power (DL8), Power Folding (DL3) and Camper (DPN). Before any parts are installed new door module calibrations must be obtained from Techline Customer Support at 1-800-828-6860. Advise the Techline Consultant that the vehicle is getting different mirrors, provide the RPO of the mirrors being installed, and request a new calibration for both door modules. Also, if switching from DL3 to DPN/DL8 or vise versa new drivers door switch trim bezel will need to be obtained. Once you have the calibrations and correct bezel, then the mirror swap can be done. If the calibration or switch bezel is not available the mirror swap is not possible. Replace the drivers door switch with correct part number for the mirrors being installed from the chart below, programmed both door switches with the new calibrations from Techline and install the new mirrors.

Mirrors Driver Door Switch

DL3 15906881 4-power windows

DPN or DL8 15906880 4-power windows

One additional note to remember when swapping from DL3 to DPN or DL8. If the vehicle is equipped with memory RPO AN3, only the DL3 mirrors have memory recall. So, if the DL3 mirrors are replaced with DPN or DL8 mirrors the curb view assist and memory mirror features will be lost.

Swapping mirrors on a vehicle NOT equipped with Door Modules
    This information only covers two different mirrors to swap on vehicles NOT equipped with door modules: Base Power Mirror (DL8) and Camper (DPN).

These two mirrors can be swapped without any additional hardware changes. The only thing to be aware of is that some vehicles equipped with DL8 mirrors may not have the turn signal wiring, due to the DL8 mirror is not equipped with a turn signal indicator. If the DPN mirrors are installed the turn signal indicator may be inoperative unless the turn signal wiring is installed. Please do not contact Partech for a wiring harness, the wires will have to be added.

Note: The Power Folding Mirrors (DL3) are not available and can not be installed on a vehicle not equipped with Door Modules.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

I had not seen that service bulletin.Would this still pertain to 09 and up GM vehicles since mine is a 12? Thanks for your help.

I had not seen that service bulletin.Would this still pertain to 09 and up GM vehicles since mine is a 12? Thanks for your help.
    Yup....it would pertain to your 2012"......

I think I gave up on this project about 2 months ago.But I found a thread on this site where someone had done the swap.I would have to get door switches wiring harness for both doors and possible a new bcm.I did put powerfold mirrors on my truck a few months ago.I did retain power adjust and heated mirrors with the swap.I also picked up turn signal lights which I did not previously have.I guess i need to be happy with that but i will have to look to add a separate switch for powerfold I guess.Whis it was as easy as adding the DIC to my truck!Thanks again.

I think I gave up on this project about 2 months ago.But I found a thread on this site where someone had done the swap.I would have to get door switches wiring harness for both doors and possible a new bcm.I did put powerfold mirrors on my truck a few months ago.I did retain power adjust and heated mirrors with the swap.I also picked up turn signal lights which I did not previously have.I guess i need to be happy with that but i will have to look to add a separate switch for powerfold I guess.Whis it was as easy as adding the DIC to my truck!Thanks again.
    Your Welcome Mark................also there may be some member's, that will view at this Thread, and be able to give you some more input on doing this Swap.