GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default 06 4.8 - Maintenance & Proactive Repairs

So I purchased this 2006 Chevy 1500 with the 4.8 V8, man do I wish I had a 5 speed transmission but anywho - I was wondering if there was any suggestions as far as preventative maintenance I should do to prevent common issues that occur with these. So far I've been on time with my oil changes, maybe over by a 1-200 miles here and there. Truck currently has 87xxx on it, the stealership recommended doing the transfercases and transmission fluids. That will be next on the list, since I just did front brakes!

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    2006 Chevorlet Silverado "Tank" 1500 LT Regular Cab
    - Diamond Plate Tool Box
    - Tonneau Cover

Future Mods :
    - BDSuspension 6" Lift
    - 35% Tints
    - Tow Mirrors (Heated/Power)
    - 35" Tires
    - Cat-back exhaust
    - Cold Air Intake

I would do the trans and transfercase, and the front and rear diffs. You can change your spark plugs out, 100,000 is recommended. I always do it early. I also changed out all of my front end components (tie rods, ball joints, shocks) on my 2002 silverado at 100,000 miles, I would have done idler and pitman arm also if the truck had them. Some say it is overkill. I kind of agree. Why change them if they are still within spec? I did it because 1) I had the money and time to do it myself 2) I was putting new Michelin tires on it and did not want to each through $950 worth of tires because of a $30 ball joint 3) I planned on keeping the truck and driving it until the body completely rusted off the frame. (that changed with the birth of a second child) It did tighten the steering back up like it was new. When I sold the truck with 135,000 miles on it everyone that test drove it was amazed that it drove like new.
    Last edited by Pikey; 03-05-2013 at 09:37 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)