GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default need help running wire

hey guys my truck goes in the shop monday to get body work done and when it comes out im hoping to start installing my 50" led light bar and was wondering what you guys think is the best place to wire the switch the light bar wont be used all the timne since its for offroad purposes i was thinking in the department under the middle seat up front?

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Can you post up some pics of your dash? Is there any blank spots where there should have had a switch?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend
    Blog Entries

In my S10 I had my switches mounted inside my center console, and honestly that's a pain in the arse. I was using mine on the road though, but I still had to remove the center console and run the wires up under there.

BTW- Your truck is looking awesome!! It's a lot different then the last time I saw it, a lot has happened in a year.

I mounted mine on my steering column... Next to the turn signal lever.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Thanks TRPLXL2. here is a pic of the interior and the switch that comes with the light bar. i was also thinking of gutting of my my 12V outlets and have the switch in there is its small enought

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |

Chevy Ridin' High

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I say put the switch right here... No Not there Here.... Ok sorry.. Lots of places inside the cubby on the right, on the inside wall of the center console, lots of places..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend
    Blog Entries

Whoa whoa!!!! When you say "GUT" the 12 volt outlets, are you wanting to use the 12v input wires off of them to power your switches?? The only reason I ask Is you better find out if those 12v wires aren't connected to something else, on OBD2 vehicles & CAN I believe the 12v hot wire to the cigarette lighter is also shared with your diagnostic port. This could interfere with the serial data wire, that's why when you get a "no communication" message on a scanner they always tell you to check the cig/aux fuse because they are tied together.

I would mount it out of sight but in easy enough reach. Like under the dash somewhere but that's just me.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

I plan on installing mine on the inside of the lower center console. That way it is easy to get at but out of sight. It may be a PITA but it will be outta sight. Which bar did you go with?

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

No no remove the back of it and run the wiring harness that comes with the light bar to the outlet and put the button in the outlet. The power for the light bar will run straight to the battery

- - - Updated - - -

I ended up running a 50" rigid e series spot/flood combo I got it for a deal out of the states compared to what one of the local business wanted in for

Chevy Ridin' High

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast