GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Antenna's

Question Antenna's

Does anyone here have one of those shorty antennas on your cars/trucks? if so how does it work and how does it look on it? thinking about the 8in one but not sure yet.
    Peter

2007 Silverado LT Crew NNBS 5.3
    Stock 20"
    Black Powdercoated Billet Gas Door
    LineX Bedliner
    Go Rhino Dom II Bars
    Work in Progress
    1952 Chrysler 2dr Windsor } Mine and Dad's
    1966 Ford Mustang

Former Cars
    2000 civic hx Moded
    1993 Probe simi moded
    1985 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab

So*Cal Group

i think one of our vendors is a supplier
    08 5.3 silverado...toyo m.t 33 12.50 18 rockstars...leveled with 2" blocks...cherrybomb catback...6k hids

I've got one on my Suburban. I unscrewed the original and screwed in the new one, took less than 5 minutes.

The only things I have noticed different are that it doesn't get quite as good reception as you get out of town and when I took the truck through an automatic carwash (not the touchless type) it was a little bent when the truck came out. I was able to straighten it back up with no problems.

Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Blog Entries

Not a good picture but this is my 8" Shorty atennna. I got it from our vendor here and it works great!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

How's the reception on yours Darcy? I like the look of it but I also want the great reception that I have with my stock antenna.

Ok, here's the deal on antenna reception...

Your eadio antenna is more than just a random length stainless steel whip. It is actually tuned to resonate in the center of the FM broadcast band. (CB'ers will remember that the full wavelength of a CB antenna is 102" at the center of the CB band... longer or shorter equals higher SWR.)

The FM broadcast receiver antenna is typically cut to 5/8 wavelength of the frequency it is receiving. If it is too high or too low, effectively, it has a high SWR, which in this case won't damage your radio (because you aren't transmitting) but it DOES reflect the signal back out into the air.

If you are listening to a local high powered station, it will really make no difference, but if you are listening to stations that are further out on the fringe, you will be disappointed.

This was really the long way around saying "If you change the length of your antenna (shorter OR longer) it will not work as well as the original antenna."
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

I have the 14 inch shorty on my truck and I also don't get as clear reception as I did with the stock one. It does look cool though.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

THats what I was afraid of. I'll have to think more about it then. Most stations I listen to are local and really strong signal tower ones if I'm not listening to XM.

Blog Entries

Nice info Tom!
    I would have to agree that when i use the radio it is only for the local stations and they come in just fine but I would agree that in remote areas it seems a tad bit weaker than the stock antanna. I love the shorter look and it suits my needs great! I DO listen to XM 95% of the time though so I don't rely on the radio too much.

Instead of getting a shorty why not get a retractable one? <s>I kinda want to get one like that for my Scottsdale.</s> Just realized the antenna is in the windshield...
    Last edited by EagleTalons; 11-02-2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Does strikeout work here?