GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default First Time for Waxing

Hey guys,
    I wanted to wax my truck, but i'm not sure how. I was wondering if anyone could give me some hints or a website that would help me out here. Thanks
    If you can't run with the big dogs, stay the f*ck on the porch!!

04 Silverado- Mine
    07 Torrent- Wife's
    91 Sonoma- Toy

this is how I was taught to do it but I would also like to know if anyone else has any secrets so share em if you do.

First I make sure that it is at least 60 degrees to wax. I use a microfiber pad or the one I get with my wax its foam. I use Meguires NXT Tech Wax and squirt some in a swirl on the pad and then press hard while going in a circular motion in the truck. Dont be shy to press hard cuz it will press it more into the minor scratches of the truck. I usually do it in maybe 1.5' by 1.5' sections or so putting more wax on the pad after each section. After finishing the truck You have to wait till the wax dries, sometimes for me it dries in an hour sometimes 2 depending on how sunny it is and the temp and moisture in the air... when dried buff off with a microfiber cloth also in a circular motion and enjoy the shine!!!
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Blog Entries

Yeah, most all cars have a good clear-coat on top of the paint, that's why paint lasts so long these days. Most of the new waxes will tell you if they're designed for a clear-coat or not, and the top-end ones are and they will make it shine like crazy. Just instlal like said before, under the right conditions and you'll have a good looking presentation.
    John ~ New Mexico ~ It's all about the bowtie!
    2007 GMC Envoy & 2010 GMC Sierra

thanks for the advise. it is much appreciated!!!!

This is how I wax my vehicles:

1) first I go over the vehicle with Bug & Tar remover. you want to get off as much of that stuff as possible because going over it later with wax, etc. it will take some of the contaminates with it and scratch your paint/clearcoat...

2) wash with Dawn dish soap to remove any old polish/wax residue that might be remaining...

3) use a claybar to remove any additional contaminates that steps 1 & 2 may have missed. you will see and feel a noticable difference in your cars finish after you claybar for the first time...

4) wash the car again to remove any of the claybar residue...

5) if you wish to polish the vehicle this is where you to it. you apply polish before you wax. polishing will help to remove fine lines, light scrathes, and reduce the amount of swirl marks you see...i personally use Turtle Wax ICE Paste Polish on my vehicles...

6) waxing the car. i apply my wax by hand (paste wax) and then remove it with my porter cable (buffer). i apply with a microfiber pad and remove using either microfiber or cotton buffer pad/shoe cover...i personally use Meguiars #26 Paste Wax...

regardless of what they say, wash, polish, wax in the shade. avoid being under trees as they will sap on your vehicle, less chance of waterspotting, especially if you have hard water. i usually do this once a month to the SS and every other month for the Colorado...

the results. if you take your time the results are incredible and you can see the difference immediately...

here are a couple pics of my rides after treating them both to the steps above about 3 weeks ago...

2005 Colorado Z71: °°Stock°°
    2000 Camaro SS: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    "Never argue with an idiot.
    They drag you down to their level,
    then beat you with experience."

Wow, lovin' the SS as I am a pretty big fan of the Camaro SS's. You have a pretty good system. The only thing I don't do that often is polish as it is abrasive. I try to keep abrasive use to a minimum, but, I have to admit your vehicles look outstanding. Great job!
    ANDREW
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
    -Dual exhaust
    -K&N Cold Air Intake
    -8000K HID Headlights

Jr. Apprentice