GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Rigid Industries LED light bar

Hey, I bought a rigid industries 20" light bar for my truck(2010 silverado LTZ), and my first thought was to install it in the front bumper, above the license plate and below the grille. There's 2"x25" gap which I was told was like an air dam that allows cold air in to cool the radiator etc..

Now I'm having seconds thoughts and am thinking about putting it behind the grille.

Has anyone else done this yet? If so, was it very difficult?

Please share pics if you have em'

@aloxdaddy99 is in the midst of installing a Rigid 20" bar in the bumper slot. There's a company that makes mounts specifically for that location on the NNBS trucks and the last I knew he had ordered a set and was waiting on them. Perhaps he can shed more light. (Pun intended.)

As for installing behind the bumper ... I have a pair of Rigid 10" bars in my twin bumper slots (NBS truck, here), and I fabricated my own mounts (I cut down the long mounts Rigid ships with its 10" bars) and did the install, myself. My installation was likely more complex than installing a 20" bar in a level bumper slot like you guys have, as my twin slots are angled and there are, of course, two of them -- so I had to do double the bars, double the wiring, and fab double the mounts. My installation only took an afternoon from start to finish ... including wiring.

The behind-the-bumper work should be a cakewalk, as our grilles and bumpers are a breeze to remove. (I can pull my grille off in 10ish mins with hand tools -- less with power or air tools. The bumper is another 6 bolts once the grille is off. I'd presume NNBS trucks to be similar.) Once you've got the bumper off you can have your way with mounting the bar.

I'd expect the longest part of a 20" bar installation on a NNBS truck to be running the wiring for the switch and installing the switch cleanly, as the harness, as-shipped, is short and must be extended to get it where you want it in the cab ... and cleanly mounting a switch such that it looks stock/OEM takes time to locate and then install. I still don't see it taking more than 4-6 hours from start to finish if you know your truck, are mechanically inclined, and are reasonably good at 12v wiring.

Interesting, I didn't know you had lightbars Surreal (sorry to the OP that I have no advice on this).
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

NNBS? You'll have to forgive the new guy for not knowing the acronyms yet...

I think NNBS is New New Body style. OBS (or old body style) refers to the 98 and older trucks. NBS (or new body style) refers to the 99-06 trucks, and NNBS refers to the 2007 and up trucks. All I've ever had was older than 98 so I never knew of those acronyms either before I joined this site.

99-06 (and 07 classic) trucks are NBS (new body style) trucks.
    07 to 2013 are NNBS (new new body style) trucks.

@SupplySgt, I bought the bars and a pair of Dually D2 flush mounts for the rear bumper in November since I got a black Friday deal that saved me 15%. I had to do a number of electrical and mount mods before installation, so the work wasn't done until Feb given the holidays, the cold, and the sheer number of things I had to custom fab.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rigid_10inch_SRseries_Specter_Driving_Lights.jpg 
Views:	2293 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	50132

Very nice! I'd like to do something on mine like that but the ham radio setup will be done first (and the mods to support a ton of electrical power draw).

Thanks. The flush mounts turned out pretty good, too. Now I can see through my insane rear window tint when backing up, at night!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rigid_duallyd2_flushmounts_installed.jpg 
Views:	1616 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	50133

I'm itching to see how alox's 20" bar turns out. I got to examine it first hand when we were doing some mod work together, recently, and it's darn spiffy. He might even be able to use it on the open road in traffic if he angles it properly. I only activate my bars when out in the country alone at night ... as my twin 10" bars are stupidly bright (brighter than a single 20", in fact). It's my hope they may help save me from a deer hit...

Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying! @surreal- nice truck! It looks like a beast! I'll post pictures in the next few days, once I complete the install.

Thanks! I look forward to the pics. You might check with aloxdaddy99 on the mounts he ordered if you want to purchase those. I suspect he'll check in sometime tomorrow, and I tagged him earlier in this thread so he'll be alerted to it -- but you could always PM him, as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by