GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default New Member S/W Ontario Canada, With Questions??

Just got a 1998 Chev 3500 Cheyenne 1 ton with a 350 engine. Motor was replaced about 5 years ago with a brand new crate motor from GM. Original motor failed due to leaking intake manifold gasket. The present motor also has the same problem-antifreeze in the crankcase, also attributed to leaking intake manifold gasket. What years did this problem start and when did it end? The local rebuilder advises me that this was a common problem. Does anyone know if this a machining error or poor gasket on the part of GM? Apparently there is a replacement gasket that solves this mess. I don't have the motor out yet and will have to wait for the climate to warm up before I pull the engine. Cheers, Old Iron nut.
    PS. Truck has low mileage.

*****Thread Moved*****
    To The
    General Chevy/G.M. Tech Section

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

You should be able to fix it without pulling the engine. I had the same problem on a 4.3 and fixed it by removing the intake while still in the truck.

Do a google search on Dexcool antifreeze and leaking intakes, that should answer all questions.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Oh yeah. Ray's got the right of it. As soon as I read the magic "5 years" mark, I instantly thought Dexcool.

That stuff needs to replaced every 2 years on the spot. The additive package just isn't sufficient to protect your engine's aluminum parts. Great for cooling, but nasty on gaskets!
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

Skippy. don't know whether or not the engine had Dexcool or not, the problem started about 2-3 years after the new motor was installed. The truck has not been plated for the last 2 years. I don't know if Dexcool is the same as the Cat long life antifreeze but I know the Cat stuff does not have to be changed every two years. There are a few other GM owners with the same problem of leaking intake manifolds. Cheers, Old Iron nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Iron nut View Post
    Skippy. don't know whether or not the engine had Dexcool or not, the problem started about 2-3 years after the new motor was installed. The truck has not been plated for the last 2 years. I don't know if Dexcool is the same as the Cat long life antifreeze but I know the Cat stuff does not have to be changed every two years. There are a few other GM owners with the same problem of leaking intake manifolds. Cheers, Old Iron nut.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...m_dexcool.html

Dexcool, btw was supposed to last 5 years or 150K miles. Any dexclone antifreeze is likely to have the same corrosive properties. Can I guarantee the intake manifold leak is a direct result of the antifreeze by evaluating a forum post? Absolutely not! LOL

That being said, I'd still take a peak at what the formulation was. And if it's a Dexcool clone, I'd still be changing the stuff every 2 years... It's just not worth a bum engine. Too much evidence that shows Dexcool formulation DOES last 5 years, but the engine in which it's operating DOESN'T. *grin*

-Skippy
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)