GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Serpintine Belt Chirp...

I was going to mention this in my previous question but I didn't want to horse up either question. I've noticed some intermittent chirping, I previously had a 97 chevy silverado and feeling little off center going from a 5.7 to a 4.3. Thanks again!

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

*****Thread Moved*****
    To The
    General Chevy/G.M. Tech Section

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thank u! I'm trying to figure out how to navigate around, nice truck. I'm gonna work on getting some pics of mine up, catch u later!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Look at belt, Is there any cracks? Missing gooves?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Localsun77 View Post
    I was going to mention this in my previous question but I didn't want to horse up either question. I've noticed some intermittent chirping, I previously had a 97 chevy silverado and feeling little off center going from a 5.7 to a 4.3. Thanks again!
    The tensioners, especially, are wear items and have to be replaced often. Take the belt off and see if there is any side play in the tensioner at all. If there is, replace it. Also check the idlers while you're in there although that's a less frequent source of trouble.

Check for any oil or antifreeze leaks that may be contaminating the belt.

If that's all OK try another belt. That will probably clear it up at first. Sometimes the belts fail without any visible damage. If the new belt starts chirping then check for damaged or misaligned pulleys. I worked on one car that ate belts and it turned out the previous owner had J-B welded the power steering pump bracket and the pump wasn't mounted square anymore so all the tension was on one side of the belt.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

It's a new belt and I don't see any type if fluid or condensation, I'm gonna pull the idler and see if that helps. Seems to be intermittent more than constant.

The chirps usually show up first when the alternator is under heavy load.

You can turn the headlights on for a few minutes before you start your truck to load down the alternator (since it will try to recharge the battery) if you want to try to smoke out the problem.

Another way to check is move the steering back and forth with the alt under load if the voltmeter drops that indicates slippage which will cause it to squeak.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

So took the truck to the dealer said no problems, bring it back it starts chirping. Brought it back to them of course the chirping went away, told them its on a cold start. They csll me bsck say we located problem it's the alternator $500. I said I'll be by to pick up my truck, mind u I have had it a shade over a week. Pick it up drive it home snd I got 12.4 amps in the battery, 13.9 when starting snd 15 when sccerlating with lights and radio on. It still chirps upon cold start? What y'all think?

- - - Updated - - -

I had an increase instead of a decrease, it only does it on cold start up, so weird