GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Mechanic

Default 02 silverado 6.0 internal ticking sound

Greetings,have heard this sound on other 6.0's,tried ear to dowel to motor,cannot isolate noise enough to diagnose.Any explanations please

- - - Updated - - -

add to;when hot at idle,like clockwork.Have friends frown on chevy 6.0 compared to other trucks i.e. other makes

Legend

these engines most have no problems up to 225,ooo mi. synthetic oils and good filters these engine are solid performers at this year model engine. with any engine even if it is a good design the oil used and the way it is operated and serviced will determine the useful life. most use 50% dexcool which I found insufficent . 65 % dexcool with distilled water works best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by geo1 View Post
    Greetings,have heard this sound on other 6.0's,tried ear to dowel to motor,cannot isolate noise enough to diagnose.Any explanations please

- - - Updated - - -

add to;when hot at idle,like clockwork.Have friends frown on chevy 6.0 compared to other trucks i.e. other makes
    this engine has lifters that are adjusted by these valves that hold oil. if the oil is with carbon they leak then you get the lifter tick sounds. could also be coolant entering the engine oil damaging these lifter valves from doing there job, ....

get some marvel mystery oil. add 5 OZ max to the engine oil. after a few mile s the sound should reduce or be gone. if so this would indicate the the oil used is not being replaced at the proper time. could be poor filter selection as well.

Jr. Mechanic

thanks,finally found on similar threads,thought is a out of adjustment roller rocker,to me it has to be just one(length of time between tick)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by geo1 View Post
    thanks,finally found on similar threads,thought is a out of adjustment roller rocker,to me it has to be just one(length of time between tick)
    it can happen just one gets mucked up. try the marvel oil but only the amount I stated. I have no idea how much gunk your engine has in it. this product cleans and lubricates the internal engine parts , BUT it is NO solvent ! you use this to slowly remove the carbon and sludge. as the oil gets dirty you replace the oil/filter . after a period of cycles you will have a clean engine internally and the engine will quiet down. now if the cam is worn down then these valves can only adjust so much .

Jr. Mechanic

good idea,never heard a bad thing about marvel,will try,thanks,geo1

- - - Updated - - -

have to add,took truck to florida some time back,my proactive maintenance made me change the oil cooler lines,i made a new leak!allen plug on block that bolts to motor started spewing,had no way to fix enroute so the oil add. was 2 qts.to fillup.since then the oil is like a younger model of itself.