GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 89 suburban hvac questions

I recently picked up this suburban and the first day I had it i flipped on the blower and it came on fine and then quit a few minutes later. I'm looking for some tips on this.

I have checked the resistor and it has power to it and good resistance.

There is a fuse holder bolted along with the resistor. It had a 5a fuse in it that checked bad, so I replaced it with no change.

I did a visual inspection of the blower motor and it "looks" ok, although I'm not sure how to check it electrically.

There are 2 hoses coming out of the a/c core housing (the box the resistor is installed in) that look like water hoses that go to nothing. What are those for? Rear a/c?

I have pictures, but I'm not sure how to attach them.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so i got the blower working, even though I couldn't tell you how, but there is no heat coming out even with the truck warmed up and I don't hear the a/c clutch kicking in like i did before.

To upload pictures, click the icon in the reply toolbar that looks like a picture. It's 3rd from the right. There you should be able to browse and select the picture.

I would definitely like to see some pictures to see what's wrong. I have a 91 which is the same bodystyle and I should be able to pick out anything looking not right pretty quickly.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

UPDATE

Figured out why there was no heat.

One of the previous owners had put a bypass hose from the radiator to the port by the distributor. No clue why. So I. Hooked up the 2 hoses I mentioned in the first post and now I have heat. I thought perhaps it was bypassed because the heater core was leaking, so I expected to see a leak in the floorboard when I put the hoses right, but it didn't leak.

Any idea why else someone would go to the trouble to bypass that?

It was most likely bypassed because it leaks like you guessed. However, it may not be apparent that it's leaking and may take a day or two to be noticeable on the floor.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage