GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't Roll Start?

I left the dome lights on in my truck a few weeks ago, and it was completely dead (I usually only drive my truck 1 or 2 times a week). Luckily, I thought, I was parked on a hill and had plenty of room to roll start it. I turned the ignition on and had plenty of speed to turn the engine in 3rd gear, but it wouldn't start. I had a long hill so I tried twice, and again, the engine turned, but no spark, so I eventually had to jump it.
    I tried to roll start it today (with a full battery), and when I engaged the clutch, my Security light came on the warning center thing. Is there supposed to be a security sensor that doesn't allow you to roll start on a 2000 Sierra 1500 or do I have a bad sensor? Thanks
    2000 Sierra Reg. Cab 5 Speed

Hmmm, interesting.

This may be a stupid question, but was the key in the run position? The security is in the key/cylinder
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Yep. My dash lights were on, It was showing that i had it above 1500 rpm, speedometer was working, I can't figure why it wouldn't send a spark to the engine

Haha, I knew it was a stupid question, but it had to be asked.

EDIT:
    I looked in your owner's manual ........... the clutch must be depressed for the engine to start.
    Last edited by RayVoy; 03-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

Ah, I must have missed that. Thanks. Well, that sort of defeats the one of the advantages of a manual transmission. I wonder, If I disengage the clutch right after I engage it, it may start?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by clinton_hedrick View Post
    Ah, I must have missed that. Thanks. Well, that sort of defeats the one of the advantages of a manual transmission. I wonder, If I disengage the clutch right after I engage it, it may start?
    the jump starting or using jumper cables on a dead battery is not good for the electrical system. the battery should be charged with a charger until full. then start vehicle.I would expect if the battery is 3 years old or more to be a problem within a few months. also the alternator may get damaged from this heavy charging and the normal loading of the vehicle electrical system.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    the jump starting or using jumper cables on a dead battery is not good for the electrical system. the battery should be charged with a charger until full. then start vehicle.I would expect if the battery is 3 years old or more to be a problem within a few months. also the alternator may get damaged from this heavy charging and the normal loading of the vehicle electrical system.
    I was in a hurry, so I didn't have time to properly charge it. I haven't had problems with the batt/alt since then. It's just my old beater, if something would go bad with the starter or something else, I just want to be able to park it on a hill and go. Dad and I have had lots of trucks and tractor that are roll start only

It is possible to put in a clutch engage defeat switch, I saw the directions on another site but since my Chevy is an auto I didnt pay much attention to them.
    One of the only manufacturers in the last few years to use a clutch engage defeat switch is Toyota. Dont know why it isnt at least an option or part of a package on other manufacturers 4x4's.
    On my Tacoma I've used it more than once to roll start the truck and on a few occasions to crawl out of spots where I was stuck but didnt feel like pulling out the winch cable, the starter has a much lower crawl ratio than the running truck engine, you just have to make sure you dont run it to long and burn things up.

the battery should be charged with a charger until full.
    Not always convient.

the jump starting or using jumper cables on a dead battery is not good for the electrical system.
    There is sufficient internal resistance in the battery to protect the vehicle being boosted and the vehicle providing the boost. It is, however, a good idea to turn off things like HVAC fan(s).

I guess the position that most of us take, if the procedure is good enough for GM to provide "how to" in the owner's manual, then, it should be ok for the average driver to use it.
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

The clutch switch only prevents the starter from turning not if you roll start the vehicle. If the battery is too low the truck will not start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast