GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Cool LS6 Cam for 2500Hd?

Hey guys, I have been having oil pressure issues and all that is left is the cam bearings being shot. A local shop told if me if I pull the heads and bring the motor in on a pallet they would do it for 200 labor + plus the cost of bearings. I use my truck to pull a trailer for work (4,000 at most loaded) and play in the mud every now an then. I plan on getting headers and a tune after work picks up here soon, but for now I'm just trying to get my truck back on the road. After all a contractor without a truck is like a bartender with out alcohol. I'm on my 3rd oil pump (the first one died, the second one a corner broke off it.) I am trying to keep the cost down for now, but since the cam is coming out anyway is an LS6 cam a good idea?
    It's going into a 03 2500HD LQ4 with a specter cold air and stock exhaust except a flow pro muffler.
    I cant get too crazy with it and it is my DD and work truck as much as I would love too.
    Oh and I have done EVERYTHING for the oil pressure, pumps, pressure sensors, cleaned the tube, and ran a mechanical gauge (10 at idle 25 max.)

- - - Updated - - -

I would be willing to go as far as this GM hot cam as long as it didn't require upgrading the rocker arms and what not and putting another $500-$700 dent in my pocket. As far as I understand it both will work with the stock rocker arms

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...s/?prefilter=1
    Last edited by Marineredn; 03-10-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD
    Specter cold air
    Toyo AT's
    1972 Chevelle (project)

Any LSx series cam will work, that isn't specifically designed for AFM (and maybe VVT, I'm not entirely sure what the VVT cam specs are). You will need a little re-tuning work with any cam change though.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I was going to go with the GM hot cam when I did my swap, but changed my mind when I saw that the specs weren't too far off from my stock F-body cam LS1. I am running a Lunati 224/560/112lsa off the shelf cam, with a 3000 stall in my daily driver and I love it.

Dobey is correct with the tuning though, mine is considered a "mild" cam and it was not driveable untuned at all.

I know you don't want to do supporting upgrades with the cam, BUT the stock valve springs and rockers are not a good idea. At minimum at least get a set of beehive springs, and the trunion upgrade for the stock rocker arms. I have seen guys rev the LS engines to a point, where the needle bearings actually spill out of the rocker arms and go into the engine.

Good luck with your rebuild!!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Sr. Apprentice

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post

Dobey is correct with the tuning though, mine is considered a "mild" cam and it was not driveable untuned at all.

the stock valve springs and rockers are not a good idea. At minimum at least get a set of beehive springs, and the trunion upgrade for the stock rocker arms.
    Thank you
    I guess I'll just have to get the tune done. I plan on getting LS6 springs but Ill look into better rockers too
    2003 Silverado 2500HD
    Specter cold air
    Toyo AT's
    1972 Chevelle (project)

Legend
    Blog Entries

I went with Lunati Voodoo 1.7 roller rockers on mine, just because I didn't want to fool with the trunion upgrade plus my motor had over 140,000 miles on it when it was torn apart. I think I paid like $379.00 for the rockers, make sure that you get a pushrod length checker once you get everything switch, because the last thing you want is for the stock 7.400 pushrods to be too short.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap