GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Back-up camera install help

I replaced my factory head unit this weekend with a Sony AV 64BT and I have a back-up camera that I am planning to install. I went ahead and plugged the video feed into the back of the unit and have it coild up beside my glove box. My question is about power to the backup camera. Can I tap into the 7-pin connector? If not, where is the best place to tap into? Photos or wire colors would be greatly appreciated!
    2007 Chevy Silverado LT1 Crew Cab
    4x4, 5.3 Vortec Flex Fuel with Active Fuel Management

For my 2005 the red wire in the 7 pin harness is the power and the light green wire was the reverse lights. Just a note, when I spliced into the red wire for power there was none. I found that GM did not install the fuse for the power wire in the 7 pin harness at the factory.(I guess that this is common for 1999 and new models) In the underhood fuse block there was a red block inserted into the spot where the fuse was supposed to be. I just went to the parts store and purchased a fuse, replaced the block with a fuse and everything worked. Hope I helped.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Yes you did - thanks for the reply. So, you spliced into the red wire, and that delivers constant power to your back-up camera when the truck is on? If you splice into the light green wire, would that give me power when in reverse?
    2007 Chevy Silverado LT1 Crew Cab
    4x4, 5.3 Vortec Flex Fuel with Active Fuel Management

I did not install a backup camera, I installed white night back up lights. The red wire gave me constant power and the light green gave me power when in reverse to signal the relay to turn the lights on. I would invest in a cheap test light just to be sure that the colors are the same on the 2007. Chances are that they are the same, but I would still verify it. Again, I did not have power to the red wire until I put the fuse in.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I tapped the positive wire to the driver's side reverse bulb for my aftermarket reverse camera, as it's easy to locate and very, very easy to test. I also tapped the reverse circuit at the column to tell the head unit to switch into reverse camera view.

just installed one this weekend. the AV cable that came with it had a power wire run with it so I connected it behind the steering column along with the reverse line from the head unit so it powered the camera and signalled the head unit when I shifted into reverse. The other way is to find the power wire for the backup light bulb and splice it there for power.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member