GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 41 to 50 of 53
  1. #41
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    with the engines in these vehicles and operating with a light load you will not see much improvement in any way with the 93 octane.

    If your towing /hauling then the 93 octane does help with reducing knock which will reduce timing and cause low MPG/power.

    if you do a MPG test to compare the MPG between the two octanes also the increased cost of the 93 octane you will find the 93 costs more per mile than the 87 .

    some brands have detergents some do not. 93 octane of some no name brand does not mean it has any cleaners in it or burns cleaner. the engines are designed to burn clean with the OEM 87 octane fuel . if not then you fail the emission test/check engine light on.

    with any tuners/pcm tweaking 93 octane will make the engine run stronger but you have changed the PCM programing to run on the 93 octane.

    I run 87 unless I plan on towing my 4,000lb boat then 93 is used.

    the only place I could find non ethanol fuel was in Oregon state. perhaps Canada.

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTward1 View Post
    Yes, The 18 amendment proved without a doubt how only elected idiots in Washington, whom can take the most accepted concept and destroy it. Of course they seek salvation by issuing the 22 amendment. Close to a hundred years later, here we are with flex fuel and the corner gas station offerings.
    The 21st Amendment repealed Prohibition. The 22nd Amendment limits the US Presidency to two terms. That Amendment is under scrutiny now as Obama supporters was him to run for a 3rd term.

    2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab


    Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

  3. #43
    Sr. Engineer nickgiacalone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    302

    Default

    If the vehicle doesn't say "Premium Fuel Only" I run with plain old 87 octane. I do not like the "Flex Fuel" tho, I think there is not enough savings compared to the lower mileage. Just my .02

    - - - Updated - - -

    I do however run a can of SeaFoam thru my vehicle when I change the oil (roughly every 5k miles)
    -Nick
    2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT, Z71 Appearance Package, Vortec 5.3L AFM
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox


  4. #44

    Exclamation

    MY mistake, Yes it was the 21st, but I think you get my drift ? . . . Or becomes a department unto itself.

  5. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickgiacalone View Post
    If the vehicle doesn't say "Premium Fuel Only" I run with plain old 87 octane. I do not like the "Flex Fuel" tho, I think there is not enough savings compared to the lower mileage. Just my .02

    - - - Updated - - -

    I do however run a can of SeaFoam thru my vehicle when I change the oil (roughly every 5k miles)
    As you know, Flex fuel is every where in Michigan. But, I thought that the entire idea of flex fuel was to reduce foreign oil dependency and reduce fuel cost. I see E-85 often priced 5-10 cents lower than regular. sometimes it is more expensive than regular. For the mpg loss it is just not worth it. If it were $1 less a gallon then I may buy it.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  6. #46

    Default

    Sorry I didnt read umteeen hundred post in this thread but heres my 02cents.High milege engines require more octain while newer ones dont.Our engines are low compression which means they designed to run on 87 octain..I`lll run + or premium once in a while when I go on a road trip seems to run better and I get a couple more miles mpg.My truck is an older truck the ethanol in the gas is riuning parts in my tb.Its garbage our goevernment is forcing this stuff on us.The only place I can buy ethanol free gas is the boat marinas.
    While driving remember this rule of thumb,If another driver switches lanes infront of you cutting you off causing you to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision that they almost caused its your fault and you should be happy that they flip you the bird when you lay on the horn.

  7. #47
    Sr. Engineer nickgiacalone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    As you know, Flex fuel is every where in Michigan. But, I thought that the entire idea of flex fuel was to reduce foreign oil dependency and reduce fuel cost. I see E-85 often priced 5-10 cents lower than regular. sometimes it is more expensive than regular. For the mpg loss it is just not worth it. If it were $1 less a gallon then I may buy it.
    I agree. Like I stated, if I was saving money or breaking even, I'd run it. But, I'm not going to run a "cleaner" fuel just to spend more in the long run.

  8. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AC`s94chevy View Post
    Sorry I didnt read umteeen hundred post in this thread but heres my 02cents.High milege engines require more octain while newer ones dont.Our engines are low compression which means they designed to run on 87 octain..I`lll run + or premium once in a while when I go on a road trip seems to run better and I get a couple more miles mpg.My truck is an older truck the ethanol in the gas is riuning parts in my tb.Its garbage our goevernment is forcing this stuff on us.The only place I can buy ethanol free gas is the boat marinas.
    Premium gas will not give you a 2MGP increase. You'd be lucky to see .1MPG increase.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by nickgiacalone View Post
    I agree. Like I stated, if I was saving money or breaking even, I'd run it. But, I'm not going to run a "cleaner" fuel just to spend more in the long run.
    My new 2013 is flex fuel capable. I'd run E85, but the problem is that E85 is only $0.20 cheaper. I think the next time I fill up, I'm going to run a tank of E85 and see how badly my mileage is hit.

    I have been getting ~17MPG with mostly highway and some city running 87 octane E10.

  9. #49

    Default

    Try running high octane Aviation fuel itll increase your MPG but not enough to justfy the $8.64 a gl price tag.

  10. #50

    Default

    Run that for too long you your pistons while have nice holes in the middle of them.LOL

    - - - Updated - - -

    [QUOTE=stchman;552220]Premium gas will not give you a 2MGP increase. You'd be lucky to see .1MPG increase.

    - - - Updated - - -
    And you have driven my truck to know this?Because I calculated my mpg and that s how I came up with the figure.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last: 07-17-2011, 04:10 PM
  2. Operation Overthrow! Unleaded Gas for $1.35/gal
    By TURBO2 in forum The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last: 05-28-2011, 04:33 PM
  3. 20 gallons of unleaded gasoline in diesel fuel tank
    By gmidiot in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 19
    Last: 04-23-2011, 06:52 AM
  4. Aftermarket Fuel Pressure Regular
    By Silverado Junkie in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 4
    Last: 03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
  5. Premium Fuel
    By duck44 in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 11
    Last: 02-10-2010, 09:07 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •