GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Couple stereo questions.....

First off, I have an older Kenwood 350W 2-channel amp that is supposed to power a 10" Kicker CompS. They actually compliment each other power-wise perfectly. They are both under the rear seat. All of a sudden a few weeks ago the amp just stopped working. I checked all the connections and they were tight. So, I tested the connections, the power is going into the amp. BUT, it no longer works. Is it possible that it over heated from being under the seat and just took a $hi* ? What would you suggest for keeping under the seat where it seems there is some heat build up?

Secondly (hopefully simple), I DO NOT have the Bose stereo but I do have tweeters in the A-pillar. Anyone know the size of these and how easy they are to get to? I'm looking to upgrade all the speakers.

Lastly, I've heard it is pretty hard to install a new head unit into these NNBS trucks, is this true? I am willing to take it in if need be but if they are fairly easy I would not mind doing it myself. Last summer I changed the head unit in my boat and it was simple, maybe the truck is simple too?

Thanks!!
    -Nick
    2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT, Z71 Appearance Package, Vortec 5.3L AFM
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Talk about a Can of warms.... J/k So you have power going into the amp but nothing coming out? Did you check (meter) The sub?

Ok Boats are easy as long as you find the Ground.. The newer GM trucks as long as you get the right Adp's you should be fine.
    The pillar tweeters are 1 inch I believe The pillar's do come right off after you unscrew any grab handles that you might have.
    If you are going to replace your speakers don't just do the tweeters do all of them to keep the sound matched Same brand too Also Are you going to Amp them? I would for better midbass and sound

Good brands to look at are JL Audio, Focal, Alpine Higher end Polk

Good luck and if you need any more help please let us know
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I did not meter the sub but I pulled the amp out and hooked everything up to a friends wires and sub and it did not work there either, the light inside of the amp is on but nothing coming out. That is why I am thinking that it over heated and ruined the inside.

I do plan on upgrading all of the speakers, I was able to find the sizes for the front and rear doors, just couldn't find the size for the a-pillar tweeters. I had Alpine speakers in the door and rear deck of a pontiac and they sounded great. So, I am more than likely going to upgrade to Alpine's in my truck (I really miss the Bose I had in my TrailBlazer LOL).

I haven't decided if I am going to amp the door speakers. I was thinking that a new head unit would pus enough power to the new speakers to make them sound good? How hard would it be to add an amp to the door and pillar speakers? All I know is I am not into my whole vehicle being over powered by bass. I like LOOUD clear, crisp music. I've noticed for a while that my stock radio is not nearly loud enough. I had the perfect amount of bass while my sub was working....but now it's not.

Do you or anyone know of an amp that will work well being under the back seat?

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I think you should go for a good 5 Ch amp Any good aftermarket speaker will want more power then any radio will put out. The Top radios only do about 18-22 Watts RMS. A good speaker will want 30-60 watts RMS to sound good Don't just look at it as Bass Midbass is as needed as your highs and lows for good CLEAN sound at any Volume. By only putting 20 watts into a speaker that wants 30-60RMS you are missing 1/2 the Music.

Just because the power is a perfect match doesn't mean the impedance is a perfect match, differing impedances cause an amp to overheat and fail.

Thanks for all the input. Time to start shopping around!

Head Unit change out is not that bad - I just did mine this weekend. This was my first ever attempt at anything audio related. I ordered mine through Crutchfield and they made sure that I had the correct wiring harness and adapter. Take you time and follow the directions. Actually had everything work out perfect on the first try and I'm a complete novice!
    2007 Chevy Silverado LT1 Crew Cab
    4x4, 5.3 Vortec Flex Fuel with Active Fuel Management

Hello, Nick:

Pardon me if I missed this information, but have you checked the fuses, if any? I am not familiar with that amp, but when you say it is "old", if it is old enough, it may possibly have no fuses, or the fuses may be plugged into receptacles soldered directly to the PCB, so you would have to lift the cover to check them. I have an old Arc "Sub Killer" amp, and that is the way it is fused. It may have blown the fuses from a temporary power demand that was too much.

If I completely missed the boat on that one, there are some other possible causes that may not cost that much to repair if you want to keep the amp. Sometimes a cold solder joint causes the signal to be low or if it is in the power supply circuit then the rest of the amp will not work. It also could have a bad capacitor in the power supply portion of the board. Electrolytic capacitors have a reasonable life of about 15 years, and these are common in all the older amps and most of the new ones.

If you could find a 5 channel OS Soundstream Reference 705 for sale on eBay, that would be a great ultra clean SQ option for a 5 channel set up. But It may not fit under your front seat if that is where you want to mount it. There is one for sale on there now, but it has been relisted several times and they are asking too much money for it.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

When I say my current amp is old I'm talking 2008-09. So, maybe old was the wrong word. I've checked all the fuses. And tearing apart an amp and looking at capacitors sounds a little outta my league! But I really appreciate all the ideas.

Sorry. I wasn't suggesting you fix it yourself, just that it may be inexpensive to have it repaired.

Nope, that is not what I call "old".

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by