GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default What's my truck worth?

Im thinking about selling my truck and don't know exactly what it's worth or what other people think it might be worth because of the add on's that I have etc. I have a 2009 silverado extended cab LT 2wd with the 5.3L flex fuel motor. It has 85,xxx miles with a 2" rough country leveling kit, 295/70/17 Toyo MT's with 40,000 miles (ab 25% left), 4:10 gears in the rear, an airaid cold air intake, single in dual out magnaflow exhaust with 4" tips, 2 12" kicker cvt's under the seat with hifonics 1000W amp and 4 replacement hifonics 6.5" door speakers and 4 1" tweeters with amp, marathon seat covers, tint, and a custom tune. NADA and Kelley Blue Books put it at 16,000-17,000.
    "I'll Sleep When I Die"

2009 Chevy Silverado LT1
    295/70/17 Toyo MT's
    2" rough country leveling kit
    CAI
    magnaflow exhaust
    custom tune
    spray in Line-X bedliner
    deep low profile took box
    6000K HID's
    5% + 20% tint on door windows and rear + layer of 10% rear glass and 5% tint strip
    2 12" Kicker CVT's
    custom sub boxes
    1000 watt hifonics sub amp
    4 6.5" hifonics door speakers
    4 hifonics tweeters
    320 watt hifonics amp
    Quad bell train horn
    5 gallon air tank with 100% duty Viar compressor
    galls street thunder deluxe siren/PA

Master Mechanic

You could probably get another grand or two but that about it. We all know the more we spend on our trucks that's money we're never going to see again. Most people if they have the factory equipment still, re-install that and then sell the mods and add ons on craigslist or at swap meets. Wishing you the best!
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    You could probably get another grand or two but that about it. We all know the more we spend on our trucks that's money we're never going to see again. Most people if they have the factory equipment still, re-install that and then sell the mods and add ons on craigslist or at swap meets. Wishing you the best!
    Spot-on. When money is dumped into a vehicle in the form of mods it's like lighting a match to the money, as other modders tend to want to do their own work rather than pick up a 'tainted' truck. Even if you strip out the mods and sell them separately, you're only going to get a fraction of what you spent.

Some people will pick up a lightly modded truck ... which is what I did ... but I also had a clue what I was looking at and saw the vehicle as a good basis for additional work I knew I'd pour into it. People like that are a niche market ... and they tend to know it, which tends to give them the edge as buyers, since they know you're selling to a limited group.

My advice is strip out the mods you want to re-use on a new truck ... and sell it with the rest, as the effort of stripping it all out and parting things out will likely be too annoying to justify what little you'll get for it.

Master Mechanic

I was once told when you customize your vehicle you are customizing it to yourself. Not everyone is going to like what you like, that's why it's customized.

I agree with @SurrealOne, yes keep what you want to reuse and sell the rest (pending you have the originals)

Legend

so whats the problem with the truck ? why the sell idea ?

Where I live a 2wd truck like yours would be a hard sell.

I would not spend a few grand on vehicle mods if your selling this soon.

Ya i've gone through this before with my last vehicle. Adding mods never makes its money back unless sold to the right person! But ya this is a tight window of people. I've always wanted a diesel and figured selling before 100,000 would be better than after as far as money goes. Just wondering if I should start my price at 17 or if anyone thought I might get more then that. I havent been paying attention to what they're going for lately.

Legend

why do you want a diesel engine ? with the truck you have the 5.3L should give good power with only 2wd. the diesel will get better MPG but the cost of this fuel is much more than 87 octane. if the engine has no oil issues I would keep it. you loose the most when you sell after a few years of ownership. If that truck had 4WD up here it would sell easy.

Adding mods sadly just dont increase the value other than a few specific...such as running boards...mods like aftermarket HID headlights just are for yourself. Most places wont finance above the nada or kbb value..leaving the difference your asking for to be ponied up by the buyer if your asking for more then the value....which makes it harder to sell as well. I would recommend setting your bar at the top of the value and take off the additions that you put on the vehicle and sell them on craigslist. Good luck

The blue book is the MOST you're going to get out of it for a private party sale.

All the mods add almost no value to the vehicle. I would put the truck back to stock as much as I could and sell the mods.

With all that being said, I traded my 2008 Silverado LT 2WD x-cab in on a 2013 LTZ CC and the dealer gave me ~$20K trade in. I got a little lucky IMO as the blue book was $15K in excellent condition.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

STCHMAN, How many miles did you have on your truck when you traded it in? And was it all stock?

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    The blue book is the MOST you're going to get out of it for a private party sale.

All the mods add almost no value to the vehicle. I would put the truck back to stock as much as I could and sell the mods.

With all that being said, I traded my 2008 Silverado LT 2WD x-cab in on a 2013 LTZ CC and the dealer gave me ~$20K trade in. I got a little lucky IMO as the blue book was $15K in excellent condition.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by