GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    yes. please help! I need to remove this option. Thanks

Here you go. All 3 are basically similar. If you have any questions, let me know.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...isconnect.html

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99168

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=69283

Have an '02 Tahoe with this and I also have "service ride control" message. What the garage told me is that the rear shocks have the "auto ride" sensors in them. To replace these sensors, you have to replace the whole shock at about $500 each. Now there may be some other issue that can give you this message but with my case, it is the sensors in the shocks that are bad. It's 7 years old with 115,000+ on it so when I do need to replace the shocks, I will probabaly go with some other shock instead of spending the $1000. Only other suggestion is, if it is your shocks, try a junk yard to see what the cost is to replace them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by eyegore View Post
    Have an '02 Tahoe with this and I also have "service ride control" message. What the garage told me is that the rear shocks have the "auto ride" sensors in them. To replace these sensors, you have to replace the whole shock at about $500 each. Now there may be some other issue that can give you this message but with my case, it is the sensors in the shocks that are bad. It's 7 years old with 115,000+ on it so when I do need to replace the shocks, I will probabaly go with some other shock instead of spending the $1000. Only other suggestion is, if it is your shocks, try a junk yard to see what the cost is to replace them that way.

Both the front and rear shocks have the sensors in them so it could be any of the 4 that are bad. Also, all 4 corners of your suspension have postion sensors as well, and that's not to mention the EVO, ABS and the load leveling feature. If any problem occurs in the above mentioned sensors or parts, you will get the Error message. How did your garage narrow the problem down to the rear shocks? Monroe makes an aftermarket Autoride shock and there is a company called www.strutmasters.com that supposedly make a fix as well.

That's where they told me the problem area was. Didn't get into specifics. I've been running this way for a number of years. Sometimes during the winter months, the error message is not displayed. I'm only repeating what my garage told me. Not an issue with me or my ride. Annoying? yes, but I'll live with it until the time come to replace the shocks. Front and/or rear. Oh, buy the way, that $500 per shock was factory GM parts so that is why the sticker shock.

That's where they told me the problem area was. Didn't get into specifics. I've been running this way for a number of years. Sometimes during the winter months, the error message is not displayed. I'm only repeating what my garage told me. Not an issue with me or my ride. Annoying? yes, but I'll live with it until the time come to replace the shocks. Front and/or rear. Oh, buy the way, that $500 per shock was factory GM parts so that is why the sticker shock.

I was just curious because you'd pretty well have to have the GM scan tool to know exactly which shock(s) or other parts were causing the problem and I already knew the $500.00 figure was the Generals price for those shocks. Actually, I think you did pretty good based on the mileage you got out of them considering most normal shocks don't last that long. All these new electronic, computer controlled vehicles are great until you have to pay for the repairs.

I got my info from a Chevy garage so I figured what they told me was correct. Soon as I heard the $$$$, I turned a deaf ear 'cause there was no way I was dropping that kind of coin for shocks. I figured I'll be looking aroung the junk yards when the time comes. So far no issues with ride but I'm sure if I got them replaced, I'd feel a big difference.
    Last edited by eyegore; 03-15-2009 at 06:45 PM.

I got my info from a Chevy garage so I figured what they told me was correct. Soon as I heard the $$$$, I turned a deaf ear 'cause there was no way I was dropping that kind of coin for shocks. I figured I'll be looking aroung the junk yards when the time comes. So far no issues with ride but I'm sure if I got them replaced, I'd feel a big difference.
    I guess the only problem with junk yards is you don't really know how the previous owner treated the truck but I do agree that once these things are fixed your ride should improve immensely.

Default Thats perfect info.

Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqson View Post

Talking Great info.

Hey man great job on getting rid of the autoride. I have an 2001 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L and i just finished putting $800 into the autoride to get new rear sensors less than two months ago and the "service ride control" just came back on. the truck only has 42,000 miles on it and i can't afford to keep putting money into the system so i can't wait to make the swap. I only have one question and i know its a stupid one but im just double checking; I'm not sure what engine ur Burban has but will it make any difference since mine has 8.1 or can i just send out the BCM to get the codes removed and unhook the SCM?

Quote Originally Posted by heavychevy01 View Post
    Hey man great job on getting rid of the autoride. I have an 2001 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L and i just finished putting $800 into the autoride to get new rear sensors less than two months ago and the "service ride control" just came back on. the truck only has 42,000 miles on it and i can't afford to keep putting money into the system so i can't wait to make the swap. I only have one question and i know its a stupid one but im just double checking; I'm not sure what engine ur Burban has but will it make any difference since mine has 8.1 or can i just send out the BCM to get the codes removed and unhook the SCM?

My Burban has a 6.0, however that doesn't make a difference as far as removing the Autoride the same way I did on my truck. The only difference is that Autoride (RPO Z55) was an option on the 6.0 LT versions whereas it was standard equipment on the 8.1 LT. If you bought an 01-06 2500 LT Suburban with the 8.1 then it came with Autoride. I think the only 8.1 Sub's in those years that didn't come with Autoride were the bare bones models that were used by Federal Government Agencies (FBI, ATF, Border Protection, Military, Etc) or your local police. Lynden Wester should be able to figure it out for you as I know he's done a few 8.1's. So, yes, just get the BCM reprogrammed and completely disconnect the SCM.
    Last edited by Jacqson; 11-21-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

"Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.